Ann M
Ann M
  • Tutorial Team
  • Maumee, OH

My Take on Another Solar Chandelier!

I wanted to join in on the awesome solar chandelier craze but after searching local flea markets I couldn't find anything that was cheap enough so I ended up with this metal wall sconce for $4
Too close to show the hanging crystals.
Too close to show the hanging crystals.
It was in great shape so all I needed to do was to spray it with a couple coats of polyurethane since I wanted to display it outside.
Then it dawned on me, duh, it has no sockets to hold the solar lights.
And then I remembered I had ......
A whole bag of magnets!
A whole bag of magnets!
Taking several sizes of magnets with me I headed to Big Lots. They have all sizes of solar lights plus the dollar store has sold out of them. I quickly found that when I removed the bottom part of the solar light one size of magnet fit perfectly inside the part that normally would set in the socket.
Pushed the magnets into the socket part.
This shows I stacked 3 magnets in the bottom of a solar light. The light is turned upside down. I found that I had to push slightly to get these in. They were all different though. 2 lights took 3 magnets, 1 light took 4 and 1 light only took 2. I didn't want to force any more in and chance the plastic cracking. All were a tight fit so they didn't need any glue. Of course the one with 4 had more magnet power than the one with only 2.
Metal grabbed on to the lights!
Metal grabbed on to the lights!
The lights were nice and tight against the metal candle holder. The magnets were doing its job.
I should have picked the smaller sconces BL sold but they were more expensive and I would have had to purchase smaller magnets too.
Then I thought perhaps if I painted it it would take away from the bulkiness.
Complete
Complete
Looks great with my cushions of aqua and lime. Not sure you can see the dining set in this finished pic.
my take on another solar chandelier , go green, how to, lighting
And here it is at night giving off its soft glow I was looking for. Hint..,for optimum glow make sure there is no other light source nearby. I have a window with a lamp in it that isn't shown in this pic and didn't get the glow I expected until I closed the window blind!
A soft glow at night.
A soft glow at night.

• Tay951164

How did you mount to your siding?

• Ann M

They’re hooks that slide under the vinyl siding. Got them from Improvements.com

• Tay951164

How did you mount to your siding?

• Jos9366819

What's the purpose of the magnets?

• Wayne

Easy way to attach to the candle stand like the last response plus if you are outside and need a quick portable light you could just grab once off and use it temporally

• Karen

Did similar year but struggled to keep the lights attached. Magnets!!! Thank you so much 😁😁

• Poi9813105

Same here. Could not get those lights to stay in the socket holes. I even have those magnets on hand. Thank you for sharing!

• Linda R

Really ingenious of you! I am inspired!