Dirt Patch To Puppy Patio - Easy DIY

$60.00

When we moved into our house many years ago we had a nice lawn in the back yard but we also had dogs and it didn't take long for our nice yard to be not so nice. Several years ago we put up a fence in the back to keep the pups out of the grassy area when we needed to. But there was a small area that we left for the pups. As you might guess we were never able to maintain any grass in that spot. Sorry I
dirt patch to puppy patio easy diy, landscape, lawn care, pets, pets animals
The first step was to even out and level the area a little bit so I dug it up and and spent some time with a hoe and a rake smoothing out the ground. Then I added a layer of sand for a little more leveling. As fortune would have it I just happened to have the sand bags that I use in the back of my truck for extra weight during the winter months so 0 dollars spent so far.
We bought a piece of indoor outdoor carpeting for around 30 to 40 dollars sorry I can't remember the exact cost. The carpeting is made to be used with adhesive glue which wasn't an option for us, so the first problem was how to secure it to the ground and the second problem was how to keep the edges from fraying.
We figured that these 10 inch garden spikes would work to hold the carpet in place. They were about 30 to 40 cents a piece and they are made for holding the metal strips of garden edging in place. They are actually called edging pins. I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to hammer them through the carpeting but as it turns out it was very easy.
But on to the next problem which was how to keep the edges from fraying.
The carpeting is made of plastic so I figured that the best way to keep it from fraying was to melt the edges. I have a small stencil cutter but I think that wood burning tools would also work. This is a small tool so it was very easy to use but it did take quite a while to go all around the four sides of the piece of carpet.
Once the edges where fused together it was super easy to hammer in the spikes. I put them pretty close together on the edges because I was afraid that the puppies might dig at the edges, so far they have not damaged it at all ;-). I also put spikes in the middle at varying intervals to keep the piece secure.
For some final touches I painted a couple of rocks and added the pups water bowl and toy box.
They seem to really like it and after several months of wear it still looks great and has stayed in perfectly in place.

• Indoor Outdoor Carpeting  (Home Depot)
  • Garden Spikes  (Home Depot)
Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• Che4270970

Is that the area where they potty and if so how do you keep it clean and from smelling?

• Denise Elkins

I have artificial turf in my small yard-made for dog use- and I can keep it clean with simple washing and rinsing (with Dawn solution) and occasionally a pet enzyme solution. After 2 years it still looks (and smells) just fine!
  • Lori Rosenau

Do they potty on the carpet? If they do even if you wash it off wouldn't it smell after a while?

• Esterdeweese4

If that carpet is actually made of plastic, doesn't it get very hot in the sun?