Debbie Klein Muehr DePaul
Debbie Klein Muehr DePaul
  • Montgomery, TX

Any suggestions for painting these two chairs?

Charlotte BelangeKarenColimbia1
+14

I will be repurposing them to sell.
q any suggestions for painting these two chairs, painted furniture
  • Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Great chairs! I love the finish in the first one...does it need redone? The second would look great in a chalk paint, maybe a very light aqua. You can make it at home or use the name brands too. Need the homemade recipe? Just use 1.5c paint (flat up to semi-gloss), 1/2 c. hot water, and 1/2 plaster of paris. It will have a bit of grit in it, but you can lightly sand it off to get a super-smooth finish. Yes, make sure to wear a mask! Hope this helps!

• Shabby Paints

Great rocker..might want to add a cushion to the bottom but that is a great look, and is back in style :) could do the spindles a different color. (wear a mask and gloves if mixing plaster of paris)

• Irish53

Larissa great idea! Here they seem to use a color that is contrast to the house color so the chair stands out sitting in the front yard. A lot of big floral prints on the cushions.

• Debbie Klein Muehr DePaul

Larissa, I sanded down the high chair because the paint job was terrible! I was thinking the same color for the rocker! Maybe the same color as ASCP - Duck Egg Blue (homemade of course)! Shabby Paints and Irish 35, I was thinking a nice big cushion too! Great ideas! Thanks for the input!

• Shabby Paints

Everytime my old butt sees a chair..I automatically think cushion..won't be long and I'll be that old lady carrying her own around lol :)

• Judy C

If old chairs we brought from Ohio have a little mold on them, how do I prepare them to be painted or repurposed? Thanks

• Colimbia1

@Judy C You could try a weak bleach/water mixture. Outside or in a room with window open.

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Those chairs have to be great to be from Ohio! (I'm a Buckeye!). How bad is the mold? Setting them out in the sun can do wonders, but you may need to rotate them to get sunshine on all sides over a period of days...leave them out for a couple hours at a time. If that doesn't work, you can always use oxiclean (or similar product) or (I hate to say) a diluted bleach solution. Just make sure to wear a mask and goggles! I'd love to see them if you get a chance. :o)

• Shabby Paints

I use watered down vinegar to kill the mold...let it dry all the way through..like Larissa said, sunshine is best. After that use a paint that is mold and bacteria resistant.

• Love these chairs! So many options....

• Kathleen Hibben

I did one in gloss black and painted the spindles different colors, green, gold, and rusty red....it only has one arm and sits in my bedroom Love it ~ Have fun with yours

• Blaze heart

start with a 80 grit wood sandpaper,folowed by a 200 -400 grit,10- 20 $ woulb be lots,that will give you a real smooth 2 tha touch feel if thats what you want,wipe with a wax and grease remover b - 4 -puting on a colored primer which should match your color of paint,1 litre should be more than enough for both your chairs and you will have exrtra 4 touch up if needed ,wood filler product is available for 5$ and dries quickley can get at any paint or hardware store,i would use a black cherry color and urethane or clear coat final step.would stand for 10 20 years if not in weather.

• Marlene Olson

The first chair pictured looks like a childs high chair. I would paint it with a durable, washable paint and add a reproduced vintage nursery decal on the headrest area of the chair. Perfect for the younger Grandchildren to sit at Grandmas dinner table.

• Sally Roesner Fuhr

Your rocker is from the Arts and Crafts era. a great find. Period.

• Colimbia1

@Marlene Olson Like your idea. Then keep it and put a vintage doll in it.

• Karen

sand them down and stain them. there are so many different colors of stains

• Charlotte Belange

Or use light gray on both, with flowers or strips for pillow might put pillow on both Char B YELM WA