Kelly S
Kelly S
  • Bremerton, WA

Front mulch

I gave up using herbicides,and weeding none worked for more than a month, so I burned it too kill the weeds. Dandilions don't burn worth diddly.
Phase 1 Fire
15 wheel barrow trips to the back yard and 20 bags of rubber mulch later

• Sherri

How do you use fire? A blowtorch?

• Anna

I bought a flame thrower type thing at Home Depot, for about $45-50, uses propane and burns well. You have to aim at the weeds and hold for a bit. It's not instantaneous. My grandpa burned his lawn every winter and had a beautiful yard.

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

This doesn't seem a very complete post.

• Pmono7690

I purchased a flame torch from a Harbor Freight for less then $50. I live in farm country. It works for a while then one has to do it again, about every other month.

• Rin

Depends where you live. My ex did small patches on his yard, 1'x1', and the fire department told him he could get a fine for "burning" his weeds & grass...
    • Mary

I purchased a flame thrower from Menards on sale for $27 (that also included tax)... the propane was less than $4. My first attempt at burning weeds did nothing at all, so now that they are like 2 feet tall, I'm going to try to kill them again, but this time I will open the gauge to full and keep the flame on longer. Really bummed that the first attempt did nothing.

• Cathy Shay

can this kill the lawn as well as the weeds so I can replant the yard with seed or sod for a week free lawn?

• Lucy

I use household white vinegar in an old detergent bottle to spray weeds that pop up each year between my many brick-on-sand pathways. I give them a good douse on a warm day and they are gone for the rest of the year.

In my tomato bed, I always put down a thick layer of newspapers (5 or 6 pages) and cover with leaves before planting season. Over the years, this soil just get richer. I use "no-toil" gardening and just move over the leaves and newspaper to dig the holes for my plants. I have finally smothered out all the mulberry weeds this way and have an abundance of earthworms and rarely any tomato cutworms.

• Angela

Thanks, I will give the vinegar a try in my rock bed.

• Brutbos

I burn weeds with a great blowtorch I purchased at HarborFreight.

Much better for the world and people’s health than those deadly smelling weed killing poisons.

Just be very careful with flame direction.