Organized Clutter
Organized Clutter
  • International Falls, MN

Setting Up a Terra Cotta Pot Edging

For the last two summer seasons, I have set up a terra cotta pot flower bed edging under a large spruce tree by our deck. The area under the tree receives filtered sunlight on one side and a few hours of midday full sun. Perennials that grow well for me here are hostas, Lady's Mantle, astilbes and sedums. Occasionally I add a few impatiens.
making a terra cotta pot flower bed edging, flowers, gardening, perennials, I cleaned up the pots with a little with hot soapy water I never use bleach as I love them weathered and with salt deposits
I cleaned up the pots with a little with hot soapy water. I never use bleach as I love them weathered and with salt deposits.
making a terra cotta pot flower bed edging, flowers, gardening, perennials, The first step is to clean up the flower bed in the spring I did any weeding necessary and raked up pine cones needles and leaves in the area
The first step is to clean up the flower bed in the spring. I did any weeding necessary, and raked up pine cones, needles and leaves in the area.
making a terra cotta pot flower bed edging, flowers, gardening, perennials, I then gathered terra cotta pots in several sizes from just a few inches to medium to extra large
I then gathered terra cotta pots in several sizes from just a few inches to medium to extra large.
making a terra cotta pot flower bed edging, flowers, gardening, perennials, I line up my pots upside down to make sure I have enough pots for the edging After I have the correct line up I dig the pots down into the dirt about 2 inches
I line up my pots upside down to make sure I have enough pots for the edging. After I have the correct line up, I dig the pots down into the dirt about 2 inches.
making a terra cotta pot flower bed edging, flowers, gardening, perennials, I like the idea of lining them up smallest to largest but they could be all the same size too
I like the idea of lining them up smallest to largest, but they could be all the same size too.
making a terra cotta pot flower bed edging, flowers, gardening, perennials, Then fill in around the pots with a little potting soil Now I just have to wait for the perennials to fill in
Then fill in around the pots with a little potting soil. Now I just have to wait for the perennials to fill in.
Organized Clutter

• MaryKY

It's pretty, but does it make it difficult to mow or weed eat around the edges of the flowerbed?

• Antinia Shirley

Not sure the clay pots would withstand a weed eater, but placing a row of landscape fabric in the ground under the pots would deter weeds and grass.