Swap Meet Find Becomes Unique Vintage Succulent Planter

212K Views
I needed a housewarming gift for a friend and new I wanted to give her a succulent planter, so off to the swap meet I went. She is into vintage cars so I was looking for something along those lines. In the very last row of the swap meet I found this beauty. She was exactly what I was looking for. Of course, she needed a little sprucing up first, but that was the fun part.
  • swap meet find becomes unique vintage succulent planter, container gardening, flowers, gardening, succulents
Here she is in her original condition, still pretty awesome, but I wanted a bright color on her for the succulents to play off of.
I had to insert some screen under the hood to keep the dirt from falling out.
I taped off the wheels, steering wheel and headlights because they were fine just as they were. No paint needed.
First coat of paint. I used Rustoleum in a bright yellow - perfect to showcase the greens of the succulents I would be planting.
All planted and ready to go. I used mostly cuttings from my garden and planted them in soil that I had placed in the body of the car.
For succulent planters, you want three components: a thriller, a filler and a spiller. The thriller is the big one in the upper right hand corner, the spillers are the burro tails I placed to drape over the rear fenders and I used all kinds of plants for the fillers.
I planted them in snug so there would be no dirt showing.
Since they are cuttings I mist them twice a day to get them established. After a couple of weeks I will actually water them.
She looks great on my patio table - I kind of hate to give her away now. But she will be going to a great home and will gets lots of love and attention.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Rustoleum spray paint  (Home Depot)
  • Succulents  (From my yard)