Swap Meet Find Becomes Unique Vintage Succulent Planter

I needed a housewarming gift for a friend and new I wanted to give her a succulent planter, so off to the swap meet I went. She is into vintage cars so I was looking for something along those lines. In the very last row of the swap meet I found this beauty. She was exactly what I was looking for. Of course, she needed a little sprucing up first, but that was the fun part.
Here she is in her original condition, still pretty awesome, but I wanted a bright color on her for the succulents to play off of.
I had to insert some screen under the hood to keep the dirt from falling out.
I taped off the wheels, steering wheel and headlights because they were fine just as they were. No paint needed.
First coat of paint. I used Rustoleum in a bright yellow - perfect to showcase the greens of the succulents I would be planting.
All planted and ready to go. I used mostly cuttings from my garden and planted them in soil that I had placed in the body of the car.
For succulent planters, you want three components: a thriller, a filler and a spiller. The thriller is the big one in the upper right hand corner, the spillers are the burro tails I placed to drape over the rear fenders and I used all kinds of plants for the fillers.
I planted them in snug so there would be no dirt showing.
Since they are cuttings I mist them twice a day to get them established. After a couple of weeks I will actually water them.
She looks great on my patio table - I kind of hate to give her away now. But she will be going to a great home and will gets lots of love and attention.

• Rustoleum spray paint  (Home Depot)
  • Succulents  (From my yard)

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile

• SallyBane
    SallyBane

Could you use the plastic type cars? Loved your idea!!
    • Shirley Olson
      Shirley Olson

Yes you can! Just make sure you use paint intended for plastic, it adheres to "flexible" surfaces much better than regular spray paint and won't flake off if you go to move it!

• Betty Weiss Boesing
    Betty Weiss Boesing

I am on a low budget. Anyone know where I can find succulents at a very reasonable price?? Live in Missouri. Thanks

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

What are the actual dimensions of this car?