Stephanie
Stephanie
  • Westwego, LA

Drainage in pots

Celeste SStephanieTherese C
+5

i have a lot of pots with no holes in them...potted flowers in one of them rain came for couple of days and flowers died and dirt soggy...i need help
  • Dee Berger

I always make a drainage hole,,,either by drilling,,or getting someone to drill it,,or if plastic,,I've found sharp knife..scissors..will cut hole. hope this helps

• Stephanie

what about ceramic-glass pots. can a hole be drilled in them

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Yes you can if you are careful @Stephanie

• Lou B

Get a diamond drill bit and concrete drill bit from Lowe's or HD. I use the diamond bit for glass and ceramic, and the concrete for clay pots. Have drilled holes in all sorts of containers. Just take your time. I have only broken a couple of containers by being too impatient. With plastic pots any bit will work.

• Stephanie

thanks for all of your help ...I will try.....one more what kind of drill bit for tin or cans

• Therese C

You could always put a bed of marbles or rocks in the bottoms of the pots for water holding. It will help control the amount of water and the roots will not drown.

• Stephanie

therese, so in the pots with no holes, just put rocks in the bottom, them put potting soil, then plants...this will solve my problem?

• Celeste S

I use styrofoam trays that meat is packaged in. I break them in to a variety of sizes and then fill my flower pot with the pieces. It keeps the styrofoam out of the land fill and doesn't add weight to the pot. The size of the pot determines how much styrofoam I use and the size of the pieces. I have 2 really large pots where I didn't even need to break them up.