Pamela
Pamela
  • Tucson, AZ

Any ideas on cheap weed blocker,

PamelaLauriePeg
+3

we are going to add about 6 inches of fill dirt to the back yard, any ideas on cheap-diy-quick layer to cover and hopefully eliminate the majority of the weeds that the yard is full of?
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

news paper in thick layers is can be a good weed block. Don't use plastic.

• Pamela

guess we'll try that.... we also have some old area rugs. I was going to toss them but read on a post that someone used them too. guess I have my work cut out for me, collecting newspapers. lol cause we don't even get the paper.... thanks for the suggestion Donna.

Cardboard or newspapers are a better idea than an old rug.

• Peg

It's amazing how the things the "old timers" did way back when are still in use today. I've learned so many tricks from Grand Uncles and the older folks we volunteers for in our community. Old newspapers, cardboard and good old rugs are used for weed control. I used an old bright blue rug on the walking path in my vegie garden. Water still gets through and it suffocates the weeds. It's old and torn now, time to replace it when the new garden goes in next year. Good luck Pamela!

• Laurie

You can probably get a bunch of cardboard from a grocery store or drive behind a strip mall and see what you find. Bring along a knife so you can break down the boxes to fit in your car. I used cardboard two years ago in a bed and it worked fine. Be sure to over lap the edges so there's no room for any grass or weeds to sneak out.

• Pamela

thank you all for the suggestions and comments. because the cost is an issue, looks like the carpets we have will work along with going to a few stores for their broke down boxes. We're still 3 weeks away from this project, but i'll post how it came out..... thanks again guys & gals..