No Sew Drop Cloth Bedskirt

$20

I'm so excited to share this project! I'm all about making nice things out of questionable materials and supplies, and I can't sew to save my life, so this drop cloth bedskirt is right up my alley. I'm in the market for a new quilt/comforter so that will come in due time, but in the meantime, I HAD to change my bedskirt. My sweet mother-in-law gave me a hand-me-down eyelet bedskirt a few years ago just because I needed one and didn't want to go out and buy one--it's pretty but doesn't go to the floor like I'd hoped and it really didn't go perfectly with my quilt. So, until I get my next bed cover, I'm much happier with this simple, yet versatile bedskirt I made.

My bed quilt is an ivory cream color on one side (the side I always have showing) and the flip side is a tan color, so the drop cloth went perfectly with the monochromatic color scheme.

Supplies: -6'x9' drop cloth -velcro roll -measuring tape -fabric scissors -iron (not pictured) -straight pins (optional, not pictured)

STEP 1: Prepare drop cloth Lay your drop cloth out and iron it.

STEP 2: Measure Measure from the bottom of your mattress to the floor (mine measured 16").

STEP 3: Mark your drop cloth My husband and I have a Queen size, plain boxspring and mattress set on a metal frame--nothing fancy. I purchased the 6'x9' drop cloth which didn't cover the entire boxspring so I had to measure one side of the drop cloth, make my marks, then pull the drop cloth to the other side and make my marks. Next, you'll want to make a mark 2-4" back from the edge mark--this will be where you cut. Also make sure you mark your corners--you'll want to cut down the length of your bed (on both sides...so you'll have one continuous cut from the top of your bed, to the bottom where your corner marks are, on the left and then on the right) and STOP at the corner mark, then you'll cut from the left to the right (or vice versa). You should have a long left panel, a long right panel and a bottom panel; you'll also have a big section leftover from what was the middle of your drop cloth.

STEP 4: Cut and attach velcro strips to side panels After you've made all of your marks and cuts, you'll want to cut your velcro into strips. I just cut mine as I needed it--it was a little tricky holding my fabric in place and also cutting and placing the velcro so this is when straight pins could come in handy. Start at the top of your bed and line up one long panel--make sure the bottom is just barely above your floor. I have mine as far down as possible without it actually touching the floor. Take a strip of velcro, take the backing off, and stick it to your box spring (I don't think it really matters but I put the side with the fuzzy top on the box spring and used the rough side for the drop cloth), then take the other part of the velcro, remove the backing and stick it to the underside of the drop cloth.

Repeat step 4 for the long left panel and the long right panel.

STEP 5: Attach bottom panel Now that the left and right side of your bedskirt is attached to your boxspring, you'll want to do the bottom panel now. You'll do the same thing for this step as you did for Step 4, only when you cross the ends of your bottom panel over the left and right panels, you'll need to place velcro on those panels to secure the bottom panel (I hope that makes sense!). I started on my right side (if you're standing at the end of my bed) and I lined my drop cloth bottom panel up where I wanted it, then I pinned it in place so it was easier to apply the velcro. You'll want to make sure you keep your drop cloth nice and straight, fairly tight so there's no droops or major wrinkles. Also make sure you eye the very ends where your bottom panel wraps around the corners of your bed to ensure they're even/symmetrical. *Note: If you have a footboard, you could just omit the bottom panel step.

The left photo is the right side of my bed (I'm standing at the end of my bed). The right photo is of the end of my bed.

• Rosalind

How do you dress an arch opening with curtains from the outside of the arch?

• Peggy Bodiya

Ideas for window treatments for a doorwall/sliding door

• Susan Jones

What do you do with your raw edges to keep them from raveling when laundered?

• Ann

I just used super glue on the edge and let it dry. Also, THANK YOU for the Great Easy idea. It also spray paints any color.