Rachelle Morris
Rachelle Morris
  • Canada

Painting My Fireplace

Well, I took the plunge and painted our fireplace! Since moving in, and our realtor/friend telling us she painted hers, I was wanting to do ours, but I knew it would take time and I had no idea what colour or how. But, I finally did it! I cleaned it up really good, by brushing it then vacuuming it off. Then, I put Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 primer on it. After that dried, I painted it, using Martha Stewart Living Precious Metals specialty finish- Eagle Brown. I did one really good coat and that is how it turned out. I was thinking about painting the grout lines lighter, but now that it is done, I'm not sure. Everyone that has seen it, loves it and doesn't think I should do anything more with it. I love the colour because it changes with the changing light coming in our living room!
painting my fireplace, fireplaces mantels, home decor, painting

• Bjflamingos

is the paint a gloss or flat? I am getting ideas to paint and tile our fireplace and love those colors.

• Shawna Bailey

Pretty flat looking

• Rachelle Morris

I think it would be considered flat but does have a shine to it. This is exactly what I used- Martha Stewart Living Precious Metals specialty finish- Eagle Brown. It actually still looks as good as when I painted it. We have a lot of fires in our fireplace and the only thing we notice is the soot that builds up going up the front of it but it wipes off really easily. Even the inside edges that I painted aren't even peeling or anything.

• Janet

I cringed when I read you wanted to paint the brick. I love it - looks very natural and not painted at all. Our fireplace was done in early '80s and is while marble stone. Hmmmmm!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Oh what a good choice in color!