Upgrade Cheap Rugs With Shower Curtains

$24

I'm currently trying to find MY style for my home. I have very eclectic taste but also love so many styles--from farmhouse rustic to modern--but we all know that too many styles in one space is just too much, and becomes a gaudy mishmash. I'm feeling lately that I'm gravitating more towards boho rustic-ish...so when I came across this funky shower curtain at Marshall's I HAD to make them into rugs for my kitchen!
Supplies:
-shower curtain
-carpet cutoffs or plain rugs
-fabric scissors
-paint brush or roller
-tacky spray
-glue gun/sticks
-Polycrylic water-based clear gloss
*Side note: my husband's family knows the owners of our local flooring store so one of them graciously gave me 7 scrap rugs. You'd be surprised at the generosity of store owners--before going out and buying rugs for this project, ask your local floor store owner if they have any scraps they're throwing out.
STEP 1: Measure
Flip your rug or carpet remnant and measure out where you'll want to cut your shower curtain (or other fabric). For my first rugs, I thought it was so nice how I could butt my rug right up to the strip where the shower rings go because it folded over perfectly. I wouldn't recommend this because while it's nice along the edge, it creates a thick fabric buildup at the edges...
...so I cut the thick(er) piece off of my shower curtain where you would normally hang it. Give yourself about 1-2" around the edge of your rug.
STEP 2: Cut the curtain
Cut around the rest of your rug--again, I cut my shower curtain so that I had a 1-2" border.
STEP 3: Spray on adhesive
Next, spray the FRONT part of your rug with tacky spray...
...and the BACK of your shower curtain.
STEP 4: Iron curtain on
Once you've laid your shower curtain on to your rug, quickly iron out any wrinkles you see. You can iron your entire shower curtain before you start the whole process of the project but I chose to do it this way.
STEP 5: Secure with hot glue
After you've ironed your shower curtain on your rug, flip your rug back over and hot glue the edges.
You'll want to fold your shower curtain edges tightly over the back of your rug--nice and snug.
Then, press down.
Continue step 5 all the way around your rug. I chose to do my left and right sides (the shorter sides) first, then fold over my top and bottom sides.
STEP 6: Seal with Polycrylic
I don't have a photo of me applying the Polycrylic but it's pretty simple. Once your edges are all glued down, flip your rug back over to where you are looking at the design. Brush (or roll) on a coat of Polycrylic and let it dry. Once the first coat is dried, apply 2 more coats. The Polycrylic will seal the rug and make it firm.
Don't pay attention to the floors and cabinets--I can't stand the light colors, but my husband would have a cow if I dare paint the cabinets so I'll just work with what I can for now.
I love the difference these rugs made to my kitchen! I may even use my old rugs (the blue ones in the top photo) to make more rugs out of this shower curtain I purchased (yes, I love it THAT much!)

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017

• Jolene Pratt Davis
    Jolene Pratt Davis

Can you wash them when they get dirty?

• Louise
    Louise

You used fabric shower curtains and not the plastic one, right?

• Deb
    Deb

But I've bought several fabric shower curtains cheap at th hrift stores to sew & recover outdoor patio cushions.. this is a great idea for them! I also wonder whether they will hold up to washing them in washer machine? I think maybe so... I guess we'll find out when they arr made, used & dirty! Thanks!

• Top
    Top

Awesome hack! I, too, have very eclectic taste. I am looking to buy my first home and I am on a B.U.D.G.E.T. so I am always looking for ways to stretch a dollar. My local dollar store carries rug remnants so this should be a very cost effective way to cover the floors. Thanks :-)

• DonnaHB
    DonnaHB
    Just now

I’m inspired