Upgrade Cheap Rugs With Shower Curtains

$24

I'm currently trying to find MY style for my home. I have very eclectic taste but also love so many styles--from farmhouse rustic to modern--but we all know that too many styles in one space is just too much, and becomes a gaudy mishmash. I'm feeling lately that I'm gravitating more towards boho rustic-ish...so when I came across this funky shower curtain at Marshall's I HAD to make them into rugs for my kitchen!
Supplies:
-shower curtain
-carpet cutoffs or plain rugs
-fabric scissors
-paint brush or roller
-tacky spray
-glue gun/sticks
-Polycrylic water-based clear gloss
*Side note: my husband's family knows the owners of our local flooring store so one of them graciously gave me 7 scrap rugs. You'd be surprised at the generosity of store owners--before going out and buying rugs for this project, ask your local floor store owner if they have any scraps they're throwing out.
STEP 1: Measure
Flip your rug or carpet remnant and measure out where you'll want to cut your shower curtain (or other fabric). For my first rugs, I thought it was so nice how I could butt my rug right up to the strip where the shower rings go because it folded over perfectly. I wouldn't recommend this because while it's nice along the edge, it creates a thick fabric buildup at the edges...
...so I cut the thick(er) piece off of my shower curtain where you would normally hang it. Give yourself about 1-2" around the edge of your rug.
STEP 2: Cut the curtain
Cut around the rest of your rug--again, I cut my shower curtain so that I had a 1-2" border.
STEP 3: Spray on adhesive
Next, spray the FRONT part of your rug with tacky spray...
...and the BACK of your shower curtain.
STEP 4: Iron curtain on
Once you've laid your shower curtain on to your rug, quickly iron out any wrinkles you see. You can iron your entire shower curtain before you start the whole process of the project but I chose to do it this way.
STEP 5: Secure with hot glue
After you've ironed your shower curtain on your rug, flip your rug back over and hot glue the edges.
You'll want to fold your shower curtain edges tightly over the back of your rug--nice and snug.
Then, press down.
Continue step 5 all the way around your rug. I chose to do my left and right sides (the shorter sides) first, then fold over my top and bottom sides.
STEP 6: Seal with Polycrylic
I don't have a photo of me applying the Polycrylic but it's pretty simple. Once your edges are all glued down, flip your rug back over to where you are looking at the design. Brush (or roll) on a coat of Polycrylic and let it dry. Once the first coat is dried, apply 2 more coats. The Polycrylic will seal the rug and make it firm.
Don't pay attention to the floors and cabinets--I can't stand the light colors, but my husband would have a cow if I dare paint the cabinets so I'll just work with what I can for now.
I love the difference these rugs made to my kitchen! I may even use my old rugs (the blue ones in the top photo) to make more rugs out of this shower curtain I purchased (yes, I love it THAT much!)

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Everything Red For Canada Day
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty

• Christine Sandow

Thanks for posting this great idea! I wonder now with given time since you wrote these instructions, how have the rugs weathered wear and tear? I was wondering about covering some rug-type car floormats. I had been thinking of using oilcloth because sometimes messy shoes go right onto them from the driveway. But your idea of coating with polycrylic would mean that I could use fabric! Also, they have a few slight curves in them. Can you advise? It's just me and an occasional friend driving around, probably wouldn't attempt this if I had young kids. Again, thanks again for sharing!

• Charlene

For the curves couldn't you just use a coranating color of bias tape?

• Rose Mrnak Danielson

This a great idea to brighten any room. Can you put some kind of anti-slip backing on your rugs to make them safer for older people?

• Vivian

Envirotex Fiber Lock Rug Backing. 16 oz can be purchased at Walmart and it is not a spray but painted on the back of your rug. Follow directions and you should get great results.

• Colleen

Are the rugs hard to stand on? With the glue & all, are they still soft?

• Anna Y

Co cute. How do they compare to the anti- fatigue mats for comfort?

• Esther Susan Avila

Yes!!! I have a sitting area on the front porch and cannot find a pretty rug that suits it. But Ive seen some beautiful shower curtains. I am going to make my own now!!!