Antique Unique
Antique Unique
  • Canada

Upcycle piano keys

LsherbachAnnAntique Unique
+14

have some vintage piano keys that I would love to upcycle but can't think of some simple ideas how what to do with them. any suggestions.
  • Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

How many do you have? I think it would be great to stamp or hand paint a letter on each and drill them to make a bunting. I'd love to see what you do with them!

• Antique Unique

I have the whole set. I had an old organ that a friend transformed into a computer desk for me. I just can't bare to get rid of the keys.

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Wow, that's great! I just keep visualizing them as a bunting or arranged in a "welcome" sign on a wreath...there are so many possibilities. :o)

• Z

I'd make them into wall art to hang above the organ turned desk as a reminder of what it once was. Just glue them in keyboard order on a long piece of wood cut to size allowing plus enough for an added wood trim frame that goes well with the style of the organ. Here's a virtual I did incase my words didn't make sense....

• Judy Johnson Wilson

You could drill some small holes and turn them into wind chimes. Or glue the white ones together and black ones together, (using the black ones for the back, an underside brace or separate shelf) to create a wall shelf..

• ScattyLady

I was going to suggest wall art too. Becky, you went one better than me with the wood trim rather than a plain frame. Depends on the original organ! I would not get rid of the keys either!

• Chris G

How about making windchimes, making graduated spiral look. It could be hung in a music room or on a front porch.

• Therese C

My creative juices are flowing!! If you are a family that loves music, I have an idea for a back yard get-away....you could make your own stepping stones and place some piano keys & plastic black music notes in each one, paint some old damaged violins, guitars, what ever gloss black and prop them on stands scattered along the path, and at the end of the path, in a 'hidden' area of the back yard...get ready for this....a black grand piano with the top propped up and over flowing with flowers and vines planted directly inside the top of the piano!! What an oasis for a quiet picnic or just sitting!

• Therese C

@Ann Any of these that I have seen have sealed the piano wood with exterior deck sealer, but I have yet to hear of any that have lasted over 5 years. I have even seen them with water fountains in the pianos!

• Judy

What about using them on a table? Covering a decorative tray? Refacing the front of drawers? My mind went more to using them in the room with the organ/desk as part of the decor to tie it in.

• Antique Unique

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Susan-Amber Springer

I have a couple of organ keyboards myself, and was thinking of cutting them down to the keys, then somehow creating picture frames to hold antique organ music (or antique people such as myself!). I'll be interested in seeing other suggestions here!

• Antique Unique

the picture frame with organ music sounds great!

• Ann

You can make coasters with them. Also, a lamp base, or entire lamp body. They come out really nice. Love the wind chimes idea. That's a definite

• Ann

Hi Therese Thanks for the info. Will definitely give it a try

• Lsherbach