DIY Rain Chain

I love rain chains, and although they're traditionally made of copper, I made one from my favorite thing, terra cotta :) and it turned out ever-so-lovely! I found a home for it on the back deck where we can see it from the screen porch and from inside the house. Not only does it add a beautiful element on sunny days but it is a tranquil water feature when it rains. Detailed instructions on the blog~ xo
A rain chains can be functional if used in place of downspout but mine is more of a lovely little water feature~
They're easy to make with one stop to your home improvement store, just pick up some chain, terra cotta pots, a saucer and river rocks and you're on your way!
To add little pots to the chain simply divide the large chain into equal parts and then reattach the chain with a smaller link going through the holes in the flower pot ~
(detailed instructions in the blog post listed above)
To add little pots to the chain simply divide the large chain into equal parts and then reattach the chain with a smaller link going through the holes in the flower pot ~ (detailed instructions in the blog post listed above)
Add river rocks to the saucer to make a beautiful basin ...
It really is the most serene process to watch.
I attached mine so we can see it from inside the house and from the screen porch. While it adds visual interest when the weather is dry, it really shows off during a shower !

All Things Heart and Home

• Beverly

Would love to do this with rain barrels also but where I live-against the law to collect rain

• Gabrielle Falk

Hi Beverley. It used to be illegal in Sydney (Australia) and elsewhere to collect rain water. The Water Board obviously worried that you wouldn't be using 'their' water. Most people ignored it especially in a long dry spell. Now when you build a house, especially in Sydney you MUST have rain water tanks. Can be used for garden or the water that is collected can also be used as 'grey' water - ie flushing toilets, washing clothes. Sanity has finally prevailed!!!

• Marilyn Robinson

Awesome so pretty!! Love it!