Mindy D
Mindy D
  • Warren, OH

I live in an apartment and not allowed to paint. Any great ideas for a beach theme bedroon?

BronJo PStarla Green
+16

• Why not run a piece of wire or string from corner to corner on one wall & attached beach blankets or towels to it? You could caddie-corner a volleyball net from the bottom left corner to the top right corner.....and use parts of it to frame "beach" or lake pictures....

• Miriam I

Handy Andy's idea sound so cute. I was thinking perhaps a beach themed privacy screen? I have a cityscape screen in my office, it really lends the desired vibe to a room!

• Amy

there are vinyl stickers/ murals that you could get: http://www.wallstickeroutlet.com/wall-murals.php for example. If that is more pricey than what you were thinking you can always hang a fish net- here's a pretty nice way to try it: http://blog.oceanofferings.com/aquatic-artwork/ good luck!

• Kelly F

Well-you can paint- just be prepared to repaint it back to it's original lovely white when you move out.

• Carol J

use the white like a sand background and then hang beach items on the walls - I've seen everything from surfboards to lanterns, fishing nets and of course beach pictures. Be sure to find a great color palette that includes blue, green and sand - then use some bright colors as drapes. if possible get some furniture that's distressed and has some bead board for that beach/cottage feel and you should be good to go!

• Mindy D

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Miriam I

Mindy, can you post a picture of the room?

• Mindy D

Miriam, I don't have any way to do that.

• Miriam I

OK. You posted that you wanted some more ideas...do you have something specific in mind?

• Mindy D

I guess just somethings with some soft colors of blues and greens to spread some color around the room and maybe some kind of beach grass or flowers.

• Therese C

Mindy here is an idea....get a hold of a couple of old shipping pallets, tear them apart and use the boards vertical to make a head board (leave them uneven at the top like an old beach fence)..paint it distressed white. Then..and this is the fun part...get yourself a hot glue gun, a couple of big bed sheets in whatever beachy cool colors you like (ie bright sky blue, and vibrant lime green) hot glue the sheets to the wall top, bottom, and sides (never the middle) and make sure they are up without wrinkles. Then all you have to do is add beach inspired pictures and prop a surf board in the corner . Hang some sheer curtains that match the sheets on the walls and top the curtains with flower leis. By the way, do not worry...the glue from a hot glue gun peels right off the walls when you take it down. I could not paint either and the hot glue gun was my best friend...good luck!

• Laurie B

Mindy, I just happened to be shopping at a pet store tonight for my 3 baby turtles that just arrived and they happened to have very large reels of background that you can tack to an aquarium, don't see why you couldn't do that on a wall? In the classroom we use putty to put things up without taking off paint or hurting the drywall. This place had so many awesome scenes of underwater, large plants, sea animals, water, sand etc., just an idea.

• Mindy D

I never thought of that, it is a great idea. Thanks Laurie! What pet store was it? We have 2 different ones here so maybe I could check them out.

• Juana A

I like Carol J's suggestion and I also would look for shower curtains that have a beach picture there are some great one's out there. Good luck you have been given great ideas.

• Laurie B

Hi Mindy, geez sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here, not sure where u live, I live in Michigan, but most of your pet stores (at least the good ones, haha,) have these on an actual reel that u just cut? It is definately worth checking out. Yes, and Juana, I agree with you on Carol J's idea too, living in Michigan year round, I long for bright blue water, sand and palm trees, thank goodness my mobile home has a sunlight above my wanna be jetted tub and my daughter just bought me a beautiful shower curtain with sand, blue water and palm trees from Walmart, 9.99. With the sun hitting it just right? I feel like I am there. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Let me know what u decide?

• Wyominggrandma

You can use liquid starch on fabric that will adhere to the wall instead of painting. Flat sheets of your color would work. You can check on Pinterest under wall decorations and also on HGTV for directions. When you are ready to move you remove the fabric and the walls are not damaged.

• Starla Green

You can do a couple of things-one buy some liquid starch in the laundry detergent section of a grocery store and fabric. Soak pre measured lengths of fabric in the starch, then apply to your ealls and smooth out any air bubbles. The starch makes it stick to the walls like glue, but removes easily when you move. The other suggestion would be a new "wallpaper" like contact paper. Look on the Internet to see who carries it. It's applied easily and removes without damaging the walls.

• Jo P

just buy curtains (shower,window) and towels in aqua , and decorate with shells ect.... clean crisp, beachy theme.add some turquoise candles ..

• Bron

In a shop recently I saw they had large open jars and tall glass containers with a layer of sand at the bottom about 1/4 up the jar, then on top of the sand sat a star fish and a couple of shells. It looked quite nice and I thought how cheap it was but looked quite expensive. Also what I have done is take random photos of beach scenes and framed them for the wall. I actually got a lovely photo of two women sitting on deck chairs engaged in chat. (I asked first of course). Also if you google pintrest there is sure to be a lot of ideas on that site.