Planting a Wire Scroll Window Box so That It Withstands the Elements

I have a client who has a number of these beautiful wire scroll window boxes that I fill for her every spring and fall. She has them on a full-sun terrace where they receive plenty of sun and wind - normally an ideal place for growing beautiful flowers, right?
Well, for those of us who have experienced planting and maintaining these kinds of planters during the summer, you'll understand the challenges of trying to keep them properly watered. When I posted one of these window boxes on my facebook page, one of my followers, Barbara E. from Santa Cruz, California, told me a friend had given her one of these same scroll planters, and she wondered what I did to "keep it all together." I told her how I prepared the coconut husk liners, and she was able to do the same with her window box and sent me pictures of her L O V E L Y herb planter, using my suggestions (see below).
You'll need to purchase a roll of coconut husk liner, and cut it by hand to fill your basket (you will need some heavy-duty scissors). Following these instructions, this liner will last for about two years, depending upon the severity of your local weather. I double-line all four sides and allow the folds to fill the corners (you many need to trim away some of the excess coconut husk if it's too bulky). Allow enough overlap around the upper rim so that you can fold the extra husk back inside the planter and secure it with zip ties all around the upper rim (every 4-6" - see photo of unfilled planter). This reinforces the liner so that it can be filled with dirt, plants, and water, and maintain its shape. Before adding the dirt, I cut a heavy-duty black plastic trash bag and line the bottom of the planter, allowing it to come up the inside by several inches. I carefully cut a few slits in the black plastic, about 2" long, to allow for drainage in the bottom (have someone help you fill the planter with dirt, so that the plastic liner stays in place). The extra layers of coconut husk, and the plastic liner in the bottom, help keep moisture around the roots of the plants so that they do not dry out so quickly and have a longer, healthier, growing season.
http://www.facebook.com/NancyWallaceGardens
planting a wire scroll window box so that it withstands the elements, flowers, gardening, The unfilled wire scroll window box with zip ties around the upper rim Ready for planting
The unfilled wire scroll window box, with zip ties around the upper rim. Ready for planting.
planting a wire scroll window box so that it withstands the elements, flowers, gardening, Three of the wire scroll window boxes ready for summer
Three of the wire scroll window boxes, ready for summer.
planting a wire scroll window box so that it withstands the elements, flowers, gardening, Barbara E s herb window box looking healthy happy and ready to withstand the summer elements
Barbara E.'s herb window box, looking healthy, happy, and ready to withstand the summer elements.
planting a wire scroll window box so that it withstands the elements, flowers, gardening, Don t you love the herb markers Barbara E has in her window box
Don't you love the herb markers Barbara E. has in her window box?

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 5 comments
Next