Gerri Snyder
Gerri Snyder
  • Midlothian, VA

Flowers but no squash

Dawn HowardDebra DGerri Snyder
+3

Every year I get dozens of squash blossoms but never any fruit. The blossoms are the ones that are on the stem rather than down near the base of the plant. What am i doing wrong?
  • Virginia

The plants are not being pollinated. First, assuming you have more than one plant.... The plants put out "male" and "female" flowers. The male being on a longer stem will usually bloom first. Try picking a male flower and using it to pollinate the female flowers. Or use a small paint brush to pollinate. Good luck!

• Gerri Snyder

I don't seem to have any female flowers.

Squash often only produce male flowers at first. Perhaps your female flowers are just slow in arriving.

• Gerri Snyder

Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because I never end up getting any female flowers to even self-pollinate. ( This has happened for several years - it doesn't seem to matter where I plant them either!

• Debra D

Are you starting from seed or nursery plants? You might try to get them from a different source, or try a different variety. You can get your soil tested at the County Extension office to make sure you don't need amendments. This year I have yellow summer squash going gangbusters and my zuchinni are really slow. I just replanted more seed a few weeks ago, and I have a lot of small fruit coming on, so the new zuchinni looks like it's going to produce well. It must really like it hot, because south Texas in July/August IS Hell. Good luck!

• Dawn Howard

I had a problem with my jack-be-littles not producing until the season was almost over. -- I figured it out a couple years later, the town was spraying for mosquitos which in turn killed the bees too.