Repurposed Book Knife Block

$1-5

Soooo my husband went a little crazy at an auction and bought a variety of knives and yet none of them came with even a sheath to tuck them into. For a while I was storing them in a drawer, but many of them were too long and just weren't fitting well so I decided to make a fun little knife block! This project is SUPER easy! All you have to do is bind some old hardcover books together and you instantly have a new home for your knives!

SUPPLIES:

• Old Hardcover Books
  • Hot Glue
  • Twine
  • Scissors
  • Knives

STEP 1: Make sure you have books that are big enough to accommodate the knives you are looking to store.

STEP 2: Arrange your books in the order that you want them to be. ( I wanted to make sure the one with the cover illustration was in the front )

STEP 3: Take your hot glue and cover the side of your book that will be touching the book next to it. Making sure that the bottom edge of the books lines up, press them together allowing the glue to fuse them together.

STEP 4: Take twine and wrap it around the pile of glued books 3-4 times.

STEP 5: Tie a knot with your twine so it is secured in place. The twine is to help keep the ends of the books from flapping open. You could glue them down, but I figured the twine would help give the block some stability.

STEP 6: Trim any excess twine from the knot you just created.

STEP 7: Place your knives between the pages of the book they fit best in.

That's it! Crazy right? Such a quick and easy fix! Would also make a great gift for a book lover!

This thing is seriously so helpful! My drawer is no longer a danger zone!

Just look at how lovely and colorful their new little home is!

Books

25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017

• Sylvia visentin
    Sylvia visentin

Do the pages of the book rip when you slide The Knife Down

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I haven't had any problems with that happening. The pages seem to create a space for the knife pretty easily!

• Debbie
    Debbie

Does the paper in the books dull the knives?

• Tanya Marks
      Tanya Marks

One could insert and glue knife sheaths between the pages to protect both knife and pages. I have knives that came with "self sharpening" covers that could be used. Adds an extra step or two to fit and glue in sheaths, but it could work...

• Judy Garcia
    Judy Garcia

If you use the knives alot, doesn't it mess up the pages?

• Lauren Z
    Lauren Z

Super cute and clever!
  • Mary Distel
    Mary Distel

I've done this one & it has gotten me many complements! I plan on doing this for a few Christmas presents.