Repurposed Book Knife Block

$1-5

Soooo my husband went a little crazy at an auction and bought a variety of knives and yet none of them came with even a sheath to tuck them into. For a while I was storing them in a drawer, but many of them were too long and just weren't fitting well so I decided to make a fun little knife block! This project is SUPER easy! All you have to do is bind some old hardcover books together and you instantly have a new home for your knives!
repurposed book knife block, crafts, kitchen design, repurposing upcycling
SUPPLIES:
-Old Hardcover Books
-Hot Glue
-Twine
-Scissors
-Knives
STEP 1: Make sure you have books that are big enough to accommodate the knives you are looking to store.
STEP 2: Arrange your books in the order that you want them to be. ( I wanted to make sure the one with the cover illustration was in the front )
STEP 3: Take your hot glue and cover the side of your book that will be touching the book next to it.
Making sure that the bottom edge of the books lines up, press them together allowing the glue to fuse them together.
STEP 4: Take twine and wrap it around the pile of glued books 3-4 times.
STEP 5: Tie a knot with your twine so it is secured in place. The twine is to help keep the ends of the books from flapping open. You could glue them down, but I figured the twine would help give the block some stability.
STEP 6: Trim any excess twine from the knot you just created.
STEP 7: Place your knives between the pages of the book they fit best in.
That's it! Crazy right? Such a quick and easy fix! Would also make a great gift for a book lover!
This thing is seriously so helpful! My drawer is no longer a danger zone!
Just look at how lovely and colorful their new little home is!

Books

• Map8307398

When you use a knife, will it go back into the book at the same place or do you put it anywhere within it?

• I put it anywhere within. If the blade is super thick it may leave a small gap when removed and you can place it back in the same space.

• Mary Hofstra

I absolutely LOVE your idea! THIS kind of clever idea is why I joined Hometalk! Thanks so much for sharing and have a very Blessed Christmas 🎄!

• Irish Pack

brilliant, absolutely brilliant! and totally in keeping with my country kitchen theme

• Helen Gilbert Akin

Love it - I agree with Mary Hofstra, this is why I follow Hometalk,so many clever ideas.

• Sandy

Gr8 idea!!! Once, just once I'd like to contribute with one idea myself!!! Thanks for sharing your talent.. merry holidays 🎄

• Elizabeth

Super cute, you could use vintage cookbooks too. I would use a book strap and not glue the books together in case I changed my mind later. I have an issue with mind changing. LOVE YOUR IDEA!!!

• Lori

Instead of a book strap I think I might try and find an old kids leather belt. Like in the old days. Unless that's what you were meaning by"book strap" ????

• Cheryl

I'm an avid reader so that is right up my alley. Lol. So clever.

• Ter13670208

The Folk story book made me cringe as I love old books--that's a keeper for me! Seriously I love the idea and am going to use some ick books I find as I have several knives that need to come out of the knife drawer! Love this! Just check as to what books you're using and their value!

• Leslie

Well done, thank you for sharing:)

• K lord

Cute idea BUT... check the dates on the books because there are many old books that have toxic materials in them which is why a lot of half price book stores will not accept children's books before a certain date

• Sylvia visentin

Do the pages of the book rip when you slide The Knife Down

• I haven't had any problems with that happening. The pages seem to create a space for the knife pretty easily!

• Debbie

Does the paper in the books dull the knives?

• I haven't found that it has.

• Pagen1

This is NOT good. Paper is the worse thing for any blade. Sissors or knives.

• Mike Mastellar

The paper will dull the knives much faster when you take out and remove them. It will also gradually wear down the pages. I'd go with the old wood block unless you like working with dull knives.

• Judy Garcia

If you use the knives alot, doesn't it mess up the pages?