Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus
Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus
  • Springfield, MO

Landscaping With Rock Instead of Mulch

$200

I love the look of fresh mulch but as you know, mulch doesn't look fresh forever. Instead of spending money each year by adding new mulch, we decided to landscape with rock. In the long run, the cost savings are substantial. This is a perfect weekend project to try!
landscaping with rock instead of mulch, gardening, landscape, outdoor living, patio
With rock around the patio, we are still able to use our leaf blower to clean. The ease of having it is a no brainer!
After loads of fresh mulch, our patio looked great. This is it right after the mulch loads. BUT, a few months later it did not look like this. With all the trees we have on our property, we are constantly blowing our patio off. The mulch gets blown with it. So, we decided to save money in the long run and install rock.
To prep, we ripped out the plants and raked the mulch out. The plants were half-dead so getting rid of them was not a big deal. Then, we put down this (aff.) to block the weeds. It was easy to install. We rolled it and and used clips and rocks to keep it in place.
I cut holes where I wanted my plants to go and dug in to plant them. Then, we hauled in lots of river rock. The patio is pretty large and in hindsight, I should have got a truckload of river rock instead of bags. BUT, I underestimated what I would need. I ended up using about 20 bags which came to $175.
AFTER: While I don't love the after as much as fresh mulch, I do love the ease of keeping it fresh and nice looking. We've had the rock for about six months now and we love it.
Do you love Patio Projects? If so, you might love how we updated an old, worn-out umbrella!. It was simple and it totally prolonged the life of it.

• Rock
  • Plants

Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus

• Tami Chrisman

Is your rock just oversized gravel? I'm trying to find oversized colored river rock in large quanity. Does anyone have suggestions? I've already checked all my local area gravel and stone pits.

• Wanda

I love the the look of river rock when there wet. Great job.
  • DDe29219130

My wife and I are doing some landscaping in our backyard as well and were thinking of using rock around our patio. I like that you cut holes in the fabric for where the plants are going to go. We'll have to remember to do this before we lay the rock. Thanks for sharing! http://hartfordsand.com/products.html
    • Rocky

We moved into a new home late last summer and, of course, the landscape people used black mulch. I really like the look of the mulch, and refreshed it with more mulch this year.

Has anyone used the rubber mulch? It’s supposed to keep it’s color for 12 years. Any input would help me make plans for what I might do in the future. Thanks....