Mary Ann Boone
Mary Ann Boone
  • Lexington, KY

I previously asked a question about some tomato plants given to me.

Mary Ann BooneDouglas HuntSarah Gillman
+8

Was given some tomato plants over 3 weeks ago. There are many green tomatoes on them about the size of a marble. They have not gotten any bigger in 3 weeks or longer. Does anyone know what the problem is or what they might be?? I have grown tomatoes before and this is the most unusual thing I have ever seen!!!
  • Maryanne

have u planted them or are they in a pot also what kind of tomatoes are they is it possible they are cherry tomatoes which would explain the size and amount. in any case u need to plant them in the ground in a area with alot of sun. i just planted mine a few weeks ago (actually i was late in planting this yr but as long as u keep them watered and adding nutirients helps) they will grow and ripen

It does sound like you have some kind of cherry tomato. If they are SunGolds, you'll definitely be thanking whoever gave you those plants.

• Mary Ann Boone

Thanks!! Hope they are SunGolds!!!

• Mary Ann Boone

I have them planted in large buckets with draining holes in the bottom. They get a lot of sun, but not sure if they are getting enough. I don't have a lot of sun, so I try to move them around, so they get as much as possible. Thanks!!

• Maryanne

well sounds like u have a handle on it but try not to move them around to much pick a spot that gets the most sun and leave them there. I'm sure they will begin to ripen soon. Keeps us posted on their progress :)

• Mary Ann Boone

Thanks, Maryanne. I will try that!! I will keep you posted.

• Mary Ann Boone

Does anyone know how to dry Hydrangeas?

• Erin G

Are you sure it's a tomato & not a potato plant? Some look very similar, they're the same family -- EXCEPT that with potato plants the little "berries" are TOXIC. I'm an avid tomato grower, and that is the only explanation I can think of for tomatoes that aren't growing -- they should be growing like weeds! Other suggestions I can think of: are they getting an even steady watering? Tomato plants need at least 1-5 gallons each day. If the plant dries out between watering, it will stunt the growth of the tomatoes. As well, another issue might be that it's growing too much vine & doesn't have any energy left to grow the tomatoes -- try pinching out the little shoots off the stems for a while, that might help!

• Sarah Gillman

If they are regular tomatoes, you may want to try some fertilizer or Epsom salt. I used algae fertilizer, and that boosted a growth spurt.

Mary Ann, I suggest you post your hydrangea question as a new question using the red "post & ask" button at the top of the page. More folks will see it that way, rather than it getting lost in a tomato discussion.

• Mary Ann Boone

Thanks, Douglas! Great Idea! I should have known that!!!