Make a Bandana Flag Wreath

With the celebration of Independence Day coming up soon, I always love to feature a craft that goes along with that holiday, like this Bandana Flag Wreath. I always love anything that are the colors of the flag, or things that make people stop for a minute and give thanks for our freedom and those that fight to keep that.
This was really easy to make and could be reused every year, or just recycled for other projects. I found the bandana sets at Dollar Tree, so it ended up being pretty inexpensive, as well! I sure hope that you like it!
STEP 1: I started by folding the blue bandana's into long strips and looping them around a part of the wire wreath.
STEP 2: Next, I started alternating between the folded white and red bandana's to make the "stripes". With the size of the wreath, I went over the actual number of flag stripes, but figured it was okay for just a decoration.
STEP 3: I then wrapped some extra bandana's around the cowboy hat that I was going to attach to the front to hide the rest of the metal wreath form that was still showing. After that I got some needle & thread out to secure the cowboy hat to the metal piece. I sewed through the hat, and around the wire frame to make sure it was completely secure.
STEP 4: I then decided to display it on our front porch, but you can put it anywhere that you wish.

• Bandana's (Red/White/Blue)  (Dollar Tree / Amazon)
  • Round Wire Wreath Frame  (Dollar Tree)
  • Cowboy Hat  (Dollar Tree)

Jamie Tomkins

• Debbie Gruger

How many of each color bandana did you use

• Jamie Tomkins

There was no set number, Debbie. I know I should have stuck with the correct number of stripes, etc., but my wire frame ended up being larger. Not wanting to have empty space, I used more. It will just depend on how big the piece is that you use.

• Nora Tirabasso

What size wreath did you just to get this look?

• Ruth Gendreau Bennett

I made this wreath but without the hat in the middle. However, after about a week the bandanas on the top start to get floppy. As can be seen on yours as well. Then they really start to fall to the side and become all bunched together. Please tell me how to prevent this??

• Jamie Tomkins

Ruth, you could probably starch the bandana's...might be an option.

• Avolene Shaver

I hot glued the corners of each bandana together and they stay up. Just a dab of the glue

• Avolene Shaver

I made these with a 12 " wreath and glued each corner of bandanas to each other and they stand up nicely

make a bandana flag wreath, crafts, patriotic decor ideas, repurposing upcycling, wreaths, This with a 12 wreathmake a bandana flag wreath, crafts, patriotic decor ideas, repurposing upcycling, wreaths, This is with a 12 wreath
    • Patti

I starched and ironed these flags last year and they've stood up to the sprinklers without wilting

make a bandana flag wreath, crafts, patriotic decor ideas, repurposing upcycling, wreaths
    • Kathy D

I made one glued the ends together and sprayed until stiff with hair spray, soaked the back, let dry and than soaked the front, no movement.

• Meg

I put stiff tulle in the middle of the bandana before tying it to the wreath (cut it shorter than the bandana), then glued the ends of each bandana to the next. Works great!

• Susan Turner

Spay the wreath with clear paint. It will stiffen and waterproof, also keep it from fading.

• Susan Turner

• Dja7484698

How many bandanas did you use, and how many strips did you get out of one bandana

• Jamie Tomkins

I used (8) blue, (8) red and (7) white bandana’s. Where you see the white and the red, that is one of each that is just a slipknot and looks doubled.

• Theresa Slater

I have seen them made with 6 of each color but you cut each bandana in half and tie them so all the rings are covered. In that way too the pieces are shorter and hold in place rather than hanging limp.

• Jamie Tomkins

That sounds great Theresa - everyone can have their own way of making things. :)

• Dawn Surrency-Sage

I am making this tupe of wreath but I don't want to cut them down I like them long I have spray starch dies that work better than hot glue corners