Make Some Upcycled Denim Planters

$0

I have a bunch of old pants laying around, hoping to some day become something else. I remember years ago, my Mom making my brother a blanket with squares of old jeans, but figured I don't have the time (or the patience) to do that, so wanted to figure out something a bit easier. I figured that it would be fun to decorate a planter and not have it look like a boring piece on my shelf. I decided to cut off the end of the pant leg, and make these.
They were pretty easy to make and could be changed up for any home decor, or holiday, etc. I sure hope that you like it!
I started by cutting off about 8 of the legs of some old jeans. Next, I turned them inside out, to be able to sew them on the machine. I then set up my sewing machine for a regular stitch, at the area where I cut them off. I left the bottom hem of the jeans to be the top of the planter.
After the stitches were done, I folded the corner to the center of the top to create a diamond shape. This doesn't have to be perfect, just close to the shape. Next, I stitched about 1-1.5 in from the corner of the diamond. This will create the "square" that the planter is able to sit on. I did this on both sides. When I had the stitching finished, I folded the piece back from being inside-out.
I folding the top hem down about 2 or so, and then inserted a piece of rigid folded cardboard to the inside of the planter, to better hold the material taught.
Next, I added some ribbon and flowers that I had in my craft closet to decorate the top. You can make these whatever color, or design you want for the time of year you are using these.
Now they can be displayed anywhere you wish. I decided to use them for a plant and herbs, but they can even be used as a pencil holder, or for storage in your bathroom...whatever! I hope you like it! Please take a minute to leave me a comment, and let me know what you would do different, or what you would add, etc.

• Old Denim Pants
  • Scissors
  • Cardboard

Jamie Tomkins

• Bar17771312

Is a pot AND saucer put in? How do the jeans not get wet?
    • Jamie Tomkins

Yes, Barbjaustin7 - it's a plant in it's small pot with the saucer underneath. The denim planter hides all of that, though. :)

• I like the idea very much but instead of cardboard I would use some bleach bottles cut down to fit inside. It would help give a little more support.

• Jamie Tomkins

That's a great idea!! I wish I would have had some small ones to use. The cardboard is working great, so far, though. :)

• Jim

This is a great idea. I have some old jeans that no longer fit. Today, yes today, I was either going to give them away or discard all together. After seeing this today, yes today, I am going to make some planters. For me and maybe as gifts or maybe for the office or all 3, I have several pairs! This will be fun!