Lynn M
Lynn M
  • Woodstock, GA

The deer have eaten a good many leaves off my new Hydrangeas. Should I trim the bare stems back?

MaryClay BLynn M
+4

• No I think you should shoot the deer. You can re-trim the plants, but you may not see as many blooms again this year as a result of the deer damage.

• Lynn M

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

Usually they just nibble the tips. I think I'd be inclined to leave them and see if you get any leaf re-growth.

• Erica Glasener

I agree with Douglas, I would leave the leaves that have been chewed on and maybe other new leaves will sprout. You could try spreading some Milorganite around the shrubs (the ground around the base of the plants) and this may discourage the deer.

• Lynn M

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• Clay B

You can get a spray repellent at home centers, works for deers and rabbits. Spray on every month. Note: it does 'stink' a bit for a couple days, and don't do it if its windy, or you'll get it on yourself.

• Mary

Get a kiddie pin wheel or two and put them in the ground in front of the hydrangea to deter the deer next time...also looks cute!