Cheryl R
Cheryl R
  • New Baltimore, MI

Painting a sub floor

Trixie63Susan ENancy W
+8

Can't afford to replace my flooring so thinking about just painting my sub floors. Any thoughts on what kind of paint to use?
  • KMS Woodworks

So what type of flooring was ( is) there before?

• Cheryl R

Really bad carpet that I'm going to pull out. Sub floor underneath.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

That's easy enough, 'Porch and Floor' paint. Just prime it first. Chas.

• KMS Woodworks

The thing with paint is it is pretty cost effective. Also if you do decide to install new carpet, hardwood or other floor covering later there is nothing to tear out.

• Cheryl R

Thank you very much to both of you ;-)

• Nancy W

i live in a old house.. i painted the living room floor with regular floor paint.. then AFTER.. a few days i put down three coats of polyurethane..to seal it..,,

• Rose U

So glad I saw your post, I just pulled upmy carpet, now have someone installing a closet then plan to paint foor til I decide what next to do. I need to take some subfloor that rotted by the french door doing onto a deck. Otherwise floorseems ok.

• Terri K

I did pretty much what Nancy W did, only I used regular (cheap) interior wall paint, two coats, then put down three coats of polyurethane. Its holding up "very" well considering it has been down for about two years now and I have seven (that's 7) dogs! LOL

• Nancy W

ive done several more rooms using a sponge or a shower scrunchy which works really good makes a nice print on the floor one suggestion is to make sure u dab off the paint to much will make the dabs to bold play with it and u will get it and i use any paint ..dont for get to polyethylene to lock it in 3 coats

q painting a sub floor, flooring, garages, paintingq painting a sub floor, flooring, garages, painting
  • Susan E

There have been some fabulous floors done with paper bags. (search Hometalk) I have installed wide plank laminate in my house, but would have loved to do one room in paper bags if I had known about it sooner.

• Trixie63

Paper bag idea has been around forever because it works and it lasts. If you can't find enough paper bags use craft paper crumpled up for texture and interest.