How To Paint Old And Rusty Metal Outdoor Chairs

We will do almost anything for a little extra outdoor seating at our cabin! I usually like to rescue old furniture and make it over but I must say I was a little astonished when my husband pulled these chairs out of the woods and brought them home for me. There were just so many layers of paint and rust and dirt...oh and webs...with bugs!
Anyway..the ambitious side of me decided to tackle the job and I followed a careful procedure to not only cover the rust but prevent more from showing up.
Finished chairs using a textured metallic paint. I then applied a couple coats of clear gloss lacquer by Rustoleum to seal and protect the finish.
Here is the before picture after the chairs had been cleaned and sanded with a wire brush and sand paper.
I then had to prime the chairs with a rusty metal primer by Rustoleum.
before and after
before and after
Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor - Renee

• Kov28596593

Anyone have any info on the red one? I have 2 of those.

• Ellen brehne

I inherited some beautiful metal outdoor chairs, unfortunately, they were an awful flesh color. I sanded, wire brushed, then washed with TSP. Then completely dried, applied Rustoleum Primer, dried, then sprayed with Rustoleum in a great bronze color. Brought them inside in AC to dry, then applied a clear coat for strength. Within 2 weeks, the chairs flaked off so badly they looked like they had Viteligo. Any thoughts on what I may done wrong?

• Joa6717497

What type of paint do I use

• Snooks1948

So all you did was put a drab Primer on them?? Why Not a Pretty Color to brighten up the porch?

• Joanie

I love these chairs, they last forever!!!