How To Paint Old And Rusty Metal Outdoor Chairs

We will do almost anything for a little extra outdoor seating at our cabin! I usually like to rescue old furniture and make it over but I must say I was a little astonished when my husband pulled these chairs out of the woods and brought them home for me. There were just so many layers of paint and rust and dirt...oh and webs...with bugs!
Anyway..the ambitious side of me decided to tackle the job and I
how to paint old and rusty metal outdoor chairs, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, Finished chairs using a textured metallic paint I then applied a couple coats of clear gloss lacquer by Rustoleum to seal and protect the finish
Finished chairs using a textured metallic paint. I then applied a couple coats of clear gloss lacquer by Rustoleum to seal and protect the finish.
how to paint old and rusty metal outdoor chairs, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, Here is the before picture after the chairs had been cleaned and sanded with a wire brush and sand paper
Here is the before picture after the chairs had been cleaned and sanded with a wire brush and sand paper.
how to paint old and rusty metal outdoor chairs, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, I then had to prime the chairs with a rusty metal primer by Rustoleum
I then had to prime the chairs with a rusty metal primer by Rustoleum.
how to paint old and rusty metal outdoor chairs, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, before and after
before and after
Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor - Renee

3 questions on this project
  • Joa6717497
    Jul 27, 2018

What type of paint do I use

• Ellen brehne
    May 15, 2018

I inherited some beautiful metal outdoor chairs, unfortunately, they were an awful flesh color. I sanded, wire brushed, then washed with TSP. Then completely dried, applied Rustoleum Primer, dried, then sprayed with Rustoleum in a great bronze color. Brought them inside in AC to dry, then applied a clear coat for strength. Within 2 weeks, the chairs flaked off so badly they looked like they had Viteligo. Any thoughts on what I may done wrong?

• Kov28596593
    Aug 01, 2017

Anyone have any info on the red one? I have 2 of those.