How To Paint Old And Rusty Metal Outdoor Chairs

We will do almost anything for a little extra outdoor seating at our cabin! I usually like to rescue old furniture and make it over but I must say I was a little astonished when my husband pulled these chairs out of the woods and brought them home for me. There were just so many layers of paint and rust and dirt...oh and webs...with bugs!
Anyway..the ambitious side of me decided to tackle the job and I followed a careful procedure to not only cover the rust but prevent more from showing up.
Finished chairs using a textured metallic paint. I then applied a couple coats of clear gloss lacquer by Rustoleum to seal and protect the finish.
Here is the before picture after the chairs had been cleaned and sanded with a wire brush and sand paper.
I then had to prime the chairs with a rusty metal primer by Rustoleum.
before and after
before and after

Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor - Renee

• Debra

I have the same exact chairs. They are rusty, dirty, and layers of different paint? Shouldn't I strip them first before priming? And if so, with what?

• Jewellmartin

No, @Debra, stripping is not necessary. You should clean the chairs and sand only the flaky or rough areas. The Rustoleum Fusion or other similar paint should take care of any rust and blemishes. Then finish with a good exterior clear sealer. Left to me, I'd probably sand more on the seat, arms, and backrest, and use about 8 thin layers of sealer. I'd let all those layers of paint be the artwork. Best wishes 😇
  • Jenny Singletary Foreman

I have my Grandmothers old glider that looks similar these chairs. I would love to be able to use it. What is the procedure for restoring?
  • Kov28596593

Do you know the mfg. of the red one? I have 2 of these.
  • Kov28596593

Anyone have any info on the red one? I have 2 of those.
  • Ellen brehne

I inherited some beautiful metal outdoor chairs, unfortunately, they were an awful flesh color. I sanded, wire brushed, then washed with TSP. Then completely dried, applied Rustoleum Primer, dried, then sprayed with Rustoleum in a great bronze color. Brought them inside in AC to dry, then applied a clear coat for strength. Within 2 weeks, the chairs flaked off so badly they looked like they had Viteligo. Any thoughts on what I may done wrong?

• Joa6717497

What type of paint do I use

• Snooks1948

So all you did was put a drab Primer on them?? Why Not a Pretty Color to brighten up the porch?
  • Joanie

I love these chairs, they last forever!!!