Can I cover above ground roots w/ tanbark?

Mwi2186156DORLISSammokka
+8

Might be hard to see in picture, but this is my driveway garden area..... there are 2 enormous, 100 year old Norway Spruces in this area and there are many roots that are above the ground........... is it ok to use a 6 inch covering of tan bark or will that potentially damage the roots and trees?
roots are quite visible on the right side of photo
  • Aric V

you should not have any problem covering them with bark...i had the same thing with a landscape i did around an old cedar tree a couple years ago..i used shredded Cyprus mulch and it did fine

• Jeana G

Thanks for replying, and saying exactly what I hoped the response would be..LOL! This area desperately needs mulch, but I was hesitant. Now I can't wait to mulch it!

• I wouldn't go any deeper than 2-3" with the bark, though. Cypress is nice, and I like the mini pine bark nuggets, too. They last a long time in MI.

• Jeanette S

Make sure any bark brought near the house has been treated so you don't get termites!

I would stick for 2 to 3 inches as well. You don't want to artificially change the planting depth of the your Norway spruces. As long as any mulch is not in contact with the house--3 or 4 inches away--you do not need to worry about termites.

• Jeana G

2-3 inches sounds good... (and saves me some money too, always a good thing! LOL!) And thank you for reminding me about making sure the mulch is treated.... the house is 200 years old and is log constructed, so I sure as heck don't want termites discovering that it would make a nice snack!

• Sammokka

Predators for termites are centipedes or ants. Planting mint tea, lavender and rosemary seem to help keep the nasties away. I also love in an old farm house; lots of trees.

• DORLIS

I love the smell of mint, but it tends to take over would prefer lavender and rosemary. I have catnip and that is enough. The only reason it stays is my cats - they have been flea and tick free for 4 years. Strong mints repel them, the cats like to roll in the plants and so ae free of fleas and ticks.

• Mwi2186156

Please do not display our beautiful flag this way. Thanks.

• Roberta Shaw

I think it's a beautiful piece of artwork. You can display our flag anyway you want. Only thing is is if you hang it vertically in a window make sure the stars are on the right side of flag keep your flag illuminated at night and if there's bad weather bring it inside!!