Cindy H
Cindy H
  • Newark, DE

What product would be best for cleaning rust spots from my cement porch?

Its Really Concrete, Inc.Sherrie SPeace Painting Co., Inc.
+20

• Kelly F

Muratic acid. Just follow the directions on the gallon jug. You can buy it at about any hardware store.

• Berta M

A product called wink. It comes in a brown bottle. I buy it at ace hardware.

• Donna Marie P

white vinegar should work ... sprinkle some baking soda on it , let it fizz then scrub with a good brush

• Pat W

Rust stains are readily removed by application of dilute phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid won't burn the concrete as muriatic can do. A phosphoric acid based product called CRC is readily avilable at hardware stores. It can also be used to clean A/C coils and screen room enclosures made of aluminum.

• Pat W

Footnote: Orthophosphoric acid is what makes cola beverages tangy. Try some Coca Cola.

• Sandy D

will any of these suggestions work on grease stain on concrete?

• Kelly F

If the phosphoric doesn't work on the rust- use the muriatic- just dilute it a little- pour it on- work it with a stiff broon and hose it off. You can reapply if necessary. Coca Cola won't remove rust from porous concrete IMHO.

• Therese C

Cindy go to this website: MyCleaningProducts.com they carry a product called Rusterizer for $15.97 and it is completely organic. This stuff really works...Good luck!

• Kate M

CLR...works great!!!

• Sue A

what about good old forgotten about naval jelly? last time I asked where it was at the hardware store, the kid said it would be with lotions or baby products...say what!

• Cathy B

@ sandy...grease off cement. Thereis a sawdust product that is sprinkled on and left(if real bad a couple of days I'll try and find name for you.

• Cathy B

Bar Keepers Friend comes in a can like comet,will take rust off of any thing. wet concrete and sprinkle on and make paste and leave on for hour or so and rinse off

• Debi L

I 2nd Berta's suggestion to remove rust stain from anything -- porous or non-porous surface. Rust doesn't stand a chance against Wink. Erased deep rust stain from carpet almost as easily as it worked on porcelain.

• Debi L

Naval jelly great on metal but never tried it on porous surface.

• Beth S

I just read that lemon juice will remove rust. Worth a try before spending a lot of money.

• Cindy H

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll give some these a try.

• Alethea S

Zud or Bar Keeper's Friend. Make a paste and smear it on the spot. You can scrub if you need to. Rinse!

• Sandy D

Thanks Cathy B, I'll watch for the name of the product

• Cathy B

@ Sandy, the product is ZEP Sweeping Compound put in on and leave as long as possible. We had a contractor's car leave big oil spots in our drive way and then there were some old ones and it came right up. There is a wheel cleaner by Casterol(can purchase at auto parts store) that will loosen the oil if it still hangs around. Good luck.

• Stone-Crete Artistry

acetone mixed with bakingsoda to a paste....might take a couple times..acid will etch

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Rust stains are easily removed using oxalic acid. That is one of it's specialties. We have used it many times with great success. CP

• Sherrie S

Cindy, if sprinkler rust is your type of problem then I can help you. It really depends on what kind of rust you have.

• Its Really Concrete, Inc.

http://www.milessupply.com/product.php/prodid/470 - no financial interest & they will sell to diy'ers