Japanese Beatles on Climbing Hydragnea

+12
I just planted a beautiful climbing hydrangea and it is being attacked by Japanese Beatles. We are totally organic on our property so that means no chemicals....I've read about Insecticidal Soap (IS.) I have some from a few years back....does IS lost its potency after it get a bit old? My IS was in the pole barn all winter and might have frozen....Today I sprayed the "sick" plant using a spray of essential oils....a test. My other two hydrangeas (from the same nursery/same mother plant) on the other side of my property are fine...The two that are just fine much more airflow" around them and I wonder if this is making a difference? Do climbing hydrangea need a lot of airflow to stay healthy?
japanese beatles on climbing hydragnea, flowers, gardening, hydrangea, These climbing hydrangeas have been in this spot about 5 years and are doing fine Note they have a lot of airflow
These climbing hydrangeas have been in this spot about 5 years and are doing fine. Note, they have a lot of airflow.