Pamela F
Pamela F
  • Hinesville, GA

CALADIUMS Theft

I feel so violated! An elderly lady who lives a few houses down just came to my house and started pulling up my caladiums. My dog was barking and my sons ran to the door and found her just pulling them up! She had a handful of them. I'm in disbelief! I just planted them in May, smdh! She took ALL the deep pink and speckled ones. Because of her age, I just couldn't say give them back. Then, when I went to her house to talk to her, I saw that she already had 20 others (whites, pinks, greens) that she had taken from me and I noticed that my caladiums were thinning but didn't know why. She said that plants do best when they are stolen and not to worry that they will grow more!!! She showed me some canna lilies that she said she stolen from a church today and said all her plants were plucked from somewhere or another! Has this EVER happened to anyone of you?
caladiums theft, gardening

• Juliet O

@Pamela F May I strongly suggest that you speak to her and/or her husband before she gets herself hurt by stealing from the wrong person- or decimates someone else's garden the way she has yours? Two points: 1. She took ALL of your pink and spotted caladium and left you very little. You worked hard to create the vignette you wanted, and spent hard earned money on the plants. Being old doesn't make it okay to undo your hard work or steal your money. What if you were unable to afford replacements? It's not fair, and it's not right. Explain that you'll share some things when asked, but you get to select what, when, where, and how much. 2. If she goes "harvesting" in someone's yard who doesn't like trespassers or being stolen from, or a yard with a dog, she could really get hurt.

• Eva Barker Beaule

I almost helped myself to one hydrangia bloom this morning from a forgotten home..but I thought of this and restrained myself!