Jayme
Jayme
  • Bellaire, MI

More Rose Problems...

Douglas HuntKris ColeMelissa Gutilla
+2

Two of the three rose plants that I was having problems with in early Spring have survived. But now one of them has this yellowing on the leaves. can anyone help identify what the problem is so that I can treat it?
more rose problems, gardening
  • Marilyn Highley

Jayme, I'm not certain, but I think your roses have "rose mosaic virus". I would recommend taking some of the affected leaves sealed in a zip top bag to a plant specialist (county extension, nursery, local rose society) and ask for some help from them.

• Melissa Gutilla

Mine was turning yellow early this year and I sprayed it with a 3 and 1 for roses and it went away but now it is really turning yellow and the leaves are literally falling off!! I think I'm going to get some more of the spray stuff and see if it fixes it again! Fingers crossed!!

• Kris Cole

@Melissa Gutilla Hi! Just saw this again and have a question. Do you "feed" your roses. There are products that you place into the bed of the rose that will give it the nutrients it needs. That might help you :)

• Kris Cole

Do you use anything specifically made to feed roses? Phosphorous is important, but there are other things that a rose needs as well. The bone meal idea is a good one, and Rose fertilizer around the base of the rose is another. I use one by Ortho called Rose Pride. If you aren't feeding them, this may be your problem. It's so hard to say, but start with the basics.

The pattern of yellowing does suggest it may be rose mosaic. I would do as Marilyn suggests. If it is mosaic, there is little you can do. The good news is that it does not spread from plant to plant.