Ikea Hack: Paper Towel Holder Turned Into a Crochet Thread Organizer

$4

My friend recently took up crocheting. Her thread collection was slowly growing and unfortunately so was the tangled blob holding the spools together. We re-purposed this old Ikea paper towel stand into a functional organizer for all of her spools of thread.
ikea hack paper towel holder turned into a crochet thread organizer, organizing
My friend had way too many spools of yarn to hold in a paper bag .
I had an old Ikea paper towel holder that I was interested in replacing and thought this would be a great way to use it.
I picked up some wooden rods for under 2 dollars. I used 3/8th of an inch rods. Those were the only things I needed to buy for the project.
I drilled 3 holes into the stand, 2 inches apart from each other. I wanted the horizontal crossbars to be offset so I only drilled through one wall of the stand on each side. On this side I started drilling 1 inch from the top. On the opposite side, I started drilling 2 inches from the top.
I cut the rods into 4 and a half inch pieces.
My friend managed to blend some paints to perfectly match the stand, but different colored crossbars would look great too. Here you can see the other side of the stand where I began drilling from 2 inches down.
I stuck the rods into a cardboard box to dry.
I used a simple all purpose glue to glue the rods into the stand. Waited for the glue to dry, and that was it :)

• Allison Fenix

Anyone know a place or how to sell crocheted doilies .i love making them.

• Joanie

Allison: I am a crocheter of doilies, lace table cloths, afghan and etc. I sold mine. My husband sold them at work. I even got orders and I made some money. The string is cheap and the labor is long. You know that......I thought it was a dying art.,,,I pick it up now and then. I made dish rags also. A LOT of things.

• DORLIS

Thought: have you ever had a skein of yarn that you could not find the pull out end ? Could use paper towel holder as is, simply slip the yarn skein onto it and you can use as is. then when the yarn flips around as it unwinds it won't bounce all over the place. I had been winding it into a ball before starting to crochet.

• Ragianne

love this idea! why didn't I think of this! :)

• Linda

how do you prevent the spools of thread from falling off the dowels when you pull on the thread as you crochet?

• Dxfrye

This is sooo doable for many things. Use this idea to hang measuring cups, spoons; often used kitchen utensils:wisk, pizza cutters,. ..hang necklaces, bracelets, rings... Decorative yet functional....

• Kelly

you obviously do not have a cat..