Laundry Closet to Mudroom for $24

$24

German houses have water closets and laundry closets but not storage closets. Tackling loads of golf, soccer, winter and school gear from my twin teenage boys is a struggle. We picked up a set of used lockers for $9 and created a functional space in the entry.
The lockers left a space on the side and I wanted a place to store brooms and mops on this level. My husband framed out the lockers and built a door using wood and stain we had on hand. We cut through the back of one of the lockers to expose an outlet and this is where our boys charge their phones. We're really happy with the results and only spent $24.00.
The finished project began with a set of $9 lockers bought from a military post used excess sale.
The lockers were beige, rusted, dented and covered with sticky tape residue.
We cleaned the lockers, removed the latches, sanded the rust & popped out the dents as much as we could.
I sprayed the lockers with matte black spray paint for metal.
On top of the black spray paint, I dry brushed metallic silver paint in all different directions, mimicking a zinc appearance. Once dry, I rubbed on Annie Sloan Dark Wax and a Metallic Silver Wax, layering for an aged appearance and then buffed to a durable seal and shine.
We found metal hollow numbers at a Flea Market but we're stumped on how to attach them to the locker front. My husband filled the numbers with a spray foam, when dry, he cut off the excess.
I glued the numbers to the locker doors using heavy duty caulking glue.
I taped over the numbers to hold in place and dry until the next day.
Using left over wood we had on hand, my husband framed out the lockers with stained pine and built a swinging door to close the gap between the lockers and the wall, perfect for storing brooms and mops on the main level.
After...lots of storage for our boys gear.
Enough room for a message center.
Glad we have a window to air out smelly lockers. :-)
After...enough room to store our boys' gear!

• Metal Lockers  (Used Excess Sale)
  • Wood and Stain  (Left over from other projects)
  • Hinges  (Hardware store)

• Annie Doherty

Wonderful rustic storage your boys must be delighted, in addition it keeps your hallway clear of the day to day children's clutter. Terrific job these are scarcely recognizable you have done such a great job.

• Judy

This would be great for my laundry room. It would keep mice out of my linens too!