The Very Best Homemade DIY Ant Killer

I don’t know about you, but around this time every year, I seem to get ants popping up around the house. Sometimes there are a whole bunch of them, sometimes it’s just a few, but they always show up. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is an old house and there are probably lots of little holes in the walls for them to get through. This easy homemade ant killing solution has been just the ticket to solve this pest problem for me.
{Hey! Are you thinking of purchasing an "old home"?! Check out what it's really like, here!]
For some reason, I just can never bring myself to put out those scary poisonous-looking ant traps that you can buy in stores. They freak me out, so I’ve always just kind of suffered with ants and tried to squish them as I saw them.
Then I discovered this magical little recipe and they were gone within 24 hours. Completely!
[Psst! Check out another great Borax recipe: Homemade Carpet Cleaner and Deodorizer DIY!]
After mixing up the solution, I pour a little puddle of the killing juice on the floor…
Then I take an old tupperware lid and place it over top. I propped it up with a little piece of chalk to give the ants enough room to get in.... Don't forget to click the link below for the full details!

CreekLineHouse .

• Bonnie L. Wirick

How to use borax to kill ants?

• Renata

I know there's an animal right activist....let's hope there's not an insect rights activist...lol

• ALJames

Is this poisonous to pets, such as dogs?

• Danielle Odin

Food Grade Diatomacious Earth is safe around food and pets. It gets rid of ants and other crawlers. What they do is take it back to the nest and it kills the entire colony. When I first moved into a downstairs apartment, I had ants all over the place, both large red ones and the little black ones. Within 2 weeks they were all gone and have not returned (knock on wood). At the same time I discovered that the roaches were going belly up, so I continued its use until there were no roaches. F.G.D.E is safe around small children and pets and can be sprinkled on counter tops overnight and you will be rid of you bugs in no time. I sprinkled it on the ant trail and found their entrance . I left a nice pile of it at their entrance and I left it there for a while. Then I cleaned it up and waited. A couple of days later, I saw a few , so I redid it and left it a little longer. I finally cleaned it all up and have not had any problems since. It was not the dirty dishes they were after, but the pet food. BTW that was a little over 1½ yr ago.
  • Sharon

Is the borax solution good to rid fire ants?

• Anon

My husband has been using the Borax/Sugar recipe for 2 years and it totally works. We don't want our cat to get into it though, so we made a little plywood pagoda shaped structure and put it on a corner of the counter...We left space under it for traffic flow. You never see ants again...OR, try just a plastic lid over something else, or cardboard with duct tape over it. Three cotton balls are inside, laced heavily with the solution. They come in, get it & take it back to the nest. It has worked for medium sized ants and VERY tiny ones...so tiny they look like dust. Windex does kill the tiny ones in a few seconds. But we want it to get to the nest. (Who knows what kind of ants the tiny ones are)? (I don't know).

• Patti

All of a sudden we have these tiny ants in the kitchen. Really not sure what to try. Because I have pets and they must be safe. Most of these little ants are on my kitchen sink. Please help. Thanks.

• CreekLineHouse .

Hi Everyone! If you click the actual link to my blog, you will find the recipe and full details there! :) (To see more: http://www.creeklinehouse.com/2013/05/the-very-best-homemade-ant-killer.html)