HELP!! I have a cockroach infestation! Ugh.

+71
I need help finding a VERY quick, cheap, and non-toxic (my 3-yr old grandson lives with me) remedy for getting rid of roaches. And I mean REALLY FAST! They're SO disgusting! I'm ready to burn down my house to be rid of them.
q help i have a cockroach infestation ugh , home maintenance repairs, pest control
  • Rebecca Rebecca on Jun 27, 2016
    Mix borak and icing sugar and just enough water to mix together. Place on a baking tray and bake. Cut up. A friend gave me this recipe years ago and never use anything else now. Lasts about 8 months. I know when one appears it is time to make more.
  • Ngw1 Ngw1 on Jun 27, 2016
    I believe he means Boric Acid (a powder). Bigger drug stores often have it, or buy on Amazon. Still keep out of childrens' reach, but it is a very good product/solution. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/boricgen.pdf
  • Mar5659553 Mar5659553 on Jun 27, 2016
    No there is borax ant it works on lots of stuff soap section in store
  • Carrie Carrie on Jun 27, 2016
    Combat traps always worked in the city for me, they have little adhesive tabs that help them stick inside of cabinets. Had a friend that was an exterminator, told me if everyone used combat traps he's be out of business. Anything you use to kill a bug is dangerous so keep away form kids and pets.
  • Eloise Bishop Eloise Bishop on Jun 27, 2016
    I had a problem earlier this year. I used Diatomaceous Earth (Amazon; may be able to find it at garden stores too). Apparently is gets in the "pores" and stops breathing. Haven't had any problems since. Also may want to check incoming packages to make sure you aren't bringing in any more.
    • Gilbert Gilbert on Oct 24, 2017
      I used Diatomaceous eart also n worked great. Spread the powder aling baseboards. Do you know if u can make a spray out of it? Dont like the look of the powder all throughout y apartment. Thnx
  • Lavonne Lavonne on Jun 27, 2016
    I am not sure if the first response is referring to Boric acid or Borax. They are two different things BUT both can be used to get rid of Roaches. I believe the Borax is safer when young children are around.
  • Melanie Smith Melanie Smith on Jun 27, 2016
    Diatomaceous Earth, get the food grade one. There's nothing added to it and can be ingested by humans or pets without any ill effects. It has many uses, including insect control. It gets between plates of exo-skeleton and slices into the soft parts underneath causing them to basically bleed out. If you or your grandson ingest it, it might lower you cholesterol, blood sugar, or blood pressure if it's high, help regulate bowel, improve hair, nails and skin, alleviate some joint pain. If your pets get into it, its a great dewormer or any internal parasite, it can also be applied like flea powder and will get rid of those too. I know people tending to feral cat colonies use it, in the bedding, and some even rub catnip on cement then sprinkle it over top so cats rub in it getting flea treatment. Great stuff.
    • See 2 previous
    • Johnnye Denman Johnnye Denman on Jun 27, 2016
      Another vote for diatomaceous earth--just be sure to get food grade. I keep it handy in a gallon bucket with a small applicator. This stuff is wonderful!
  • Jennie Lee Jennie Lee on Jun 27, 2016
    I have also heard that baking soda works. If so, it's safe and cheap. You would scatter it where they'd walk on it. Also, I advise you not to put any kind of BAIT they'd like to eat in your cabinets. I put ant baits in my kitchen cabinet once, even though I had no ant problem there. They built an ant metropolis in my cabinet!! Try putting the borax, diatomaceous earth, or baking soda on your window sills and door thresholds, where they could come in. Good luck! I've been through what you are suffering from. It's no fun, and it's not your fault!
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Jun 27, 2016
    Borax and the hottest pepper dried and ground.
  • Shelly Lasek Valentino Shelly Lasek Valentino on Jun 27, 2016
    Borax!
  • Anna M.S. Anna M.S. on Jun 27, 2016
    I accidentally found that 1/2-inch of mixed powdered skim milk in a disposable plastic glass or an empty Starbuck's glass bottle creates a death trap for roaches. The roaches crawl in and die. It's gross, but roaches are gross--just dump spoiled milk and dead roaches in the toilet, rinse container and replace about 1/2-inch of the mixed powdered milk in the bottom, again. I'm going to try apple cider vinegar instead of the milk after reading about trapping fruit flies in a Hometalk tip. I don't know if purchased 0 % skim milk will work the same way.
  • Mary Thorne Mary Thorne on Jun 27, 2016
    I would do anything - toxic or not - to get rid of them.
  • Anna M.S. Anna M.S. on Jun 27, 2016
    Boric Acid is the primary ingredient in some roach killing powders. I couldn't find 100% boric acid recently at my drug store, which 20+ years ago carried it. While researching boric acid, I read that a human would not die of ingesting boric acid, even if they consumed the equivalent of a toxic amount of salt. Otherwise, you can die of excessive salt intake, but the same amount of boric acid is not toxic to humans.
  • Macs 65 Macs 65 on Jun 27, 2016
    Mix boric acid and sugar,shake well and this powder will do the trick-roaches track powder back to their nests.Spread behind everything ,even kitchen cabinets, watch kids carefully . (Inside cabinects) I hope you do this ,really works
  • 861650 861650 on Jun 27, 2016
    Go to www.homeremediescare.com
  • Susan Susan on Jun 27, 2016
    I have a true phobia about those things. Can't even look at photos. That said...use Bengal roach spray everywhere the child can't get to - pull out stove/fride, etc. Under kitchen sink, bathroom sinks. Seal all openings around pipes coming into home. Don't forget washer. You can use fine steel wool stuffed around cracks. Remove all paper products - paper sacks, cardboard boxes, newspapers. Spray outside door thresholds if possible. Use diatomaceous earth around foundation. Replace if it gets wet. One roach can lay 400 trillion billion eggs a day. Or at least a bunch. Get busy fast! And yes, the borax, too.
  • Pam Walker Pam Walker on Jun 27, 2016
    Peanut Butter & Boric Acid. The boric acid is odorless & tasteless so the only thing they're attracted to is the peanut butter. Just place a dot here & there under cabinets, behind the frig, around the areas that the child can't reach. The roaches are attracted to water & crumbs left out either on the counter or floor that we normally don't pay attention to. They're nocturnal so if you apply it right before bedtime when the scent is fresh, they will eat more of it before morning. This mixture will also kill ants, flies & gnats too. Anything that's attracted to peanut butter will be affected (bug wise). Also, put it up high enough or secluded enough for your house pets not to get at it. This will kill them as well. Hope this helps.
  • Loc7370169 Loc7370169 on Jun 27, 2016
    Go to your vet and get a can of "knock out " spray !!! IT's a 20.00 spray can.IT's works wondered!! Keep away from children and pets,until the mist of the spray is dries. Good Luck!!!
  • Becky Adams Becky Adams on Jun 27, 2016
    Boric acid. Powder is very cheap and very effective. I sprinkle it in areas pets and children can't get to such as behind stove, behind washer and dryers, back of closets, under sinks. Never had a problem and have 2 cats, 2 dogs, several grand children and best of all no roaches..
    • See 1 previous
    • Linda Johnson Linda Johnson on Jun 27, 2016
      I was going to say the same thing. I know Boric Acid (Borax) isn't harmful to pets, too.
  • Doris Byrd Doris Byrd on Jun 27, 2016
    you can be clean and still get them ,the people behind us had them and they traveled the neighborhood everyone had to spray m before I got rid of them . I sprayed with a product called demon safe for kids and pets after it dries. get it at tractor supply or on line .
  • Ann Ann on Jun 27, 2016
    mix together equal parts baking soda and granulated sugar. Fill the empty tops of plastic bottle caps ( water,soda, or any small cap) and push under frig, stove or cabinets any where you see them. They cant resist the sugar and when ingested the baking soda bubbles inside and kills them...If you pet or child finds one they are not harmfull....
  • Sarah Jackson Sarah Jackson on Jun 27, 2016
    If you have any empty baby food jars you can add a teaspoon or so of bacon grease in the bottom of the jars and smear a circle of Vaseline around the inner lip. Roaches go in the jars for the bacon grease and when they try to crawl out the Vaseline prevents its. Cheap, easy, safe for pets and children... just put the lid on the jars when done and toss them out.
  • LaFawne LaFawne on Jun 27, 2016
    You have lots of helpful hints on here so nothing to add there.My suggestion is to try to get to the root of the problem. Do you have any standing water near your house? Or open containers of dog or cat food? A water leak under the house? Any of these will attract them, unfortunately. Good luck!
    • DORLIS DORLIS on Jun 27, 2016
      It would take so long to find any hidden attraction,with the crazy weather e have had here in Missouri, I would just go for the boric acid powder or baking soda.
  • Linda Vellucci Linda Vellucci on Jun 27, 2016
    if you have a basement, look at it's ceiling for nests. You also cannot leave ANYTHING in cabinets that aren't in airtight containers like tuberware or glass with tight lids. Do not even leave your kitchen sponge out without spraying it with bleach before you leave it near the sink. dry the sink at night, leave lights on, move refridgerators, take paintings off walls. Only allow the children to eat in the kitchen, the pick up every crumb on the floor; spray the floor with bleach before going to bed. Why do I sound crazy? Because they carry horrible diseases and multiply like CRAZY and take over your house. Put traps in your kitchen drawers that hold utencils, or put utencils in closed containers. The traps that you can put in corners are good also, those little black disks are cheap. After your bath/shower, DRY out the tub entire area. You must be as clean as an operating room, and I'm dead serious. If you have contact paper in your cabinets, take it out if they can crawl underneath it. Make a spray bottle with bleach, you'll be using it A LOT.
  • Carol Roddy Carol Roddy on Jun 27, 2016
    ALSO...pull the drip pan out from under your refrigerator. Many people don't realize it is even under there. Some have to be taken out through the back but most can be removed from the front when you pull off the 'grill' in front. Some exterminators allow you to purchase the products they use, try calling around. good luck!!
  • Candy Shields Candy Shields on Jun 27, 2016
    You can use Borax, it will be about $3.00 for a box in the laundry detergent isle in Walmart.. pour it into jar lids; placing under furniture and under your kitchen sink, as well as appliances... this will kill the roaches pretty quickly and will not be a problem to pets... If you hide it no one will be the wiser and will not attract undo attention from children. I just leave it where I put it and every 6 months I replace it and never have any problems with them again!
  • Betty Bradley Betty Bradley on Jun 28, 2016
    Lemon juice in a spray bottle. My son was working as a salesman for a major extermination co. When i had an infestion that could have made a horror movie. He explained that roaches have their hard skeletal part on the outside. Much like a lobster. So the roaches will not die instantly, but they will die! And they did too! I bought bottles of concentrated lemon juice from the ninetynine cent store. In no time i was roach free and thats been nearly three years ago.
    • Debbie Christopherson Debbie Christopherson on Jun 28, 2016
      Wow, that's a new one! Thank you so much for the tip. So with the lemon juice method, I need to spray each bug, or do I spray it around the perimeter? And if it's just when you see a bug and spray it, aren't there bazillions where I can't see them? Let me know, and thanks again!
  • Susan Susan on Jun 28, 2016
    Thought of another thing. Many years ago I moved into an apt nfested with those monsters - back in the days before so many products on the market. I cleaned inside every cabinet, under all sinks, basebozrds, door frames - everyplace I could think of - with pure ammonia. Not diluted. I think it helped. Have adequate ventilation until it dries. That much ammonia can do a number on your lungs. As someone mentioned, those creatures can come from anywhere...apt neighbors, heavily mulched areas around the home, in crawl spaces...any places dark and/or damp. They are especially prevalent in the deep South - where I hail from. Warm and humid. Sorry to sound like a know-it-all but I just hate those things so much I almost DO know it all! I think the fear has taken 10 ywaes off my life.
  • Gina Gina on Jun 28, 2016
    unfortunatly,nohome remedies will rid your house roaches.callexterminator now.each roach will produce 1000 eggs nip it now,tenting house is very expensive....been there .
  • Marilyn Foster Marilyn Foster on Jun 28, 2016
    just buy combat it works great i change mine every 6 months and am roach free woohooo
  • Bit By Bit Shop Bit By Bit Shop on Jun 28, 2016
    Combat roach traps helped my mom a lot.She lived in an apartment building. It is important to get rid of all newspapers, junk mail, paper bags etc. Put Any bills or paperwork in zip lock bags or rubber maid containers. Zip lock bags can hold sugar bowls, bills, toothpaste etc, etc. If you are feeling overwhelmed just try to work methodically around the kitchen one drawer or cabinet at a time. Each week you can put more stuff in containers or zip lock bags. Eventually you can also caulk the inner cracks on cabinets, around sinks, door frames, window frames, once you start looking for cracks you will be amazed how many there are. Caulk is not too expensive either. In the meantime try to keep toasters, microwave, toaster oven, broilers cook tops & counter tops as clean as possible. Also vacuum all those crumbs away as well then toss the vacuum bags. Get rid of garbage every night as well from all rooms. Keep the snacking & eating at the kitchen table. Roaches also love warm dark places such as radio's, vcr's etc. I would bag them up in clear garbage bags w/the borax or diatomaceous earth & open only when using them. The bug bombs will work but On a budget i would only use them after I have tried to clean out all the extra unnecessary stuff. Lastly make sure grandchild is not bringing them home from elsewhere by washing all clothing etc as soon as they return to your home. Good luck, pace yourself & it will get better! !
  • Joann Joann on Jun 28, 2016
    Boric acid. Extremely inexpensive, non-toxic to pets & people, deadly to roaches. I once lived in a lovely building that suffered an infestation when the ratty one down the street was renovated. We battled roaches for at least a year and a half before I stunbled on Boric acid. I just kept dusting it everywhere; under things, behind things, inside cupboards,cabinets, closets, drawers...anywhere a roach could go. Within about 6 weeks there wasn't a roach to be seen and we never had then again. I'm told, the boric acid kills them by drying them up and they take it to nest areas, where it desiccates the eggs and young.
  • Lus2122838 Lus2122838 on Jun 28, 2016
    Try 1 part borax 2 parts icing sugar mix well and set it out around your cupboards etc
  • Grandmasue10 Grandmasue10 on Jun 28, 2016
    I tried the borax and sugar and nothing happened. I tried spray that coated baseboards for UP TO 10 months. It only worked when sprayed directly on the roach. The aerosol spray that you put in every room and cover plants and foodstuffs works. You have to get everyone, pets and all out of the house for 3-4 hours; then you air out the house for and hour and they are gone! I got mine at Home Depot. Be ready to vacuum when you come back home. It is made by Raid, and the box is only about 3.5 inches tall. There are 4 little cans. You push down hard on the sprayer to lock it, and then leave.
    • See 1 previous
    • Macs 65 Macs 65 on Jun 29, 2016
      I can assure you this mix works,experience is my teacher cockroaches are the most disgusting bugs in life .you can spray til the cows come in they are still there but put borox and sugar mix they carry it stuck to themselves back to their nest and Bam.I can understand if this sounds far fetched but I would never lie about a nasty roach solution
  • Joan Stanley Joan Stanley on Jun 28, 2016
    First, take apart all electronics and be sure they don't have a nest in them. Spray with poison behind all immovable appliances nightly. Be sure not to leave any water standing in the sink over night. Also, Boric acid. Mix 1 part Boric acid to 2 parts corn meal. Fill little bottle caps and place all around the kitchen and cabinets, esp. under the sink. Or you can add a little water and make little balls to drop behind the stove or fridge. Totally safe. Also, cucumbers. Roaches love them but its poison for them. I would put slices of them around the kitchen at night and clean up in the morning. This is from someone who lived in Houston, the Roach Capital of the World> Now I have cats in San Antonio. They sit in front of the fireplace at 10 PM and wait for their toys to come play. In the morning I find that they played rough.
  • Penny Penny on Jun 28, 2016
    We have cockroaches in Mexico is to professionally spray your whole house or apartment bldg, sorry it's the only way for permanent results, we have to do this every one or two years.
  • Meghan Collins Meghan Collins on Jun 29, 2016
    Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): bug killer you can eat! It takes a bit to work /kill but not toxic and works on all bugs
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Jun 29, 2016
    Borax,ground hot pepper,and a farm product called lye.Mix together,dust all corners with this.It will not kill them right away but usually within 24 hours make them die.They eat this.My mom had a HUGE issue with them in Toronto.That is what she did!