Installing a Paper Bag Floor Using RIT Dye

$40

This is a paper bag floor project but rather than using stain to color the floor, RIT dye is used. My floor is about 6' x 10'. It takes about 2-3 days to complete the floor but about 7 days for the polyurethane to completely cure.
Remove any old tile or flooring material...you want to get to the subflooring. My base flooring had a layer of tar. If yours does too, no need to remove the tar.
Gather your supplies: rit dye, paper bags, Elmer's glue all, water based polyurethane, vinyl gloves
Any cracks in your sub flooring should be covered with fiberglass tape. With crumpled paper bag pieces, and glue/water/RIT dye mixture prepared, you're ready to start assembling your floor
Starting at one end of your floor, begin gluing your paper bag pieces to the floor (the purple color actually dries brown)
After your floor has been covered completely with paper bag pieces, dry overnight. Then, begin applying polyurethane. I added some RIT dye to my polyurethane to create a darker brown floor
The finished paper bag floor colored with RIT dye

Marilyn Clark (4 You With Love)

• Kenia

Hi i would love to try this paper bag floor and would like to do it to look black. how can i do it? what do i add? also will it peel off? i have to kids so im scsred it will! any sudgestion?

Best
    K
    • Showell

I have done the paper bag floor in my master bath kitchen and living room and have 4 kids only thing is I used oil based poly and not water based and only cured for 24 hours before use

• Alvin L

Well I haven’t tried it but if you want it black use black dye instead of brown. I recommend using a few coats of clear after you use the dye coat. For added protection. But remember I haven’t tried this yet but I think I am going to do it in a extra bedroom.

• Glenda

I missed the dye process, I usually am pretty visual. I used paper bags to do a wall. Turned out well. I love your awesome floor!
  • Julie

How can I make the floor a gray