Iris Frantz
Iris Frantz
  • Roanoke, VA

Any suggestions on cleaning outdoor furniture

Iris FrantzEva Barker BeauleLeah M
+4

My white porch swing has mildew and dirt that won't come off with a pressure washer any ideas on how to clean it.
  • Larose LoganOakes

Say what is the swing made of?Have you tried Dawn dishwashing soap and bleach?This works wonders on the mold. Also if you know someone with a pick up truck you can secuely tie the swing down and take it through the car wash. My mother did this on a High back wicker chair and it worked great!Just a thought!If all else fails then just paint over it. I have done this before also.

• Iris Frantz

Its painted wood. Love your idea of the car wash, but I think I will give the dawn and bleach a try. Thanks

• Terri Ball

Chances are good that the mildew is in the paint. Make a mix of 1 cup of water and 1-2 tbls of bleach- mix in spray bottle. spritzs chair liberally with spray mix- within 10 min stain and smell will be gone or a noticible difference. IMPORTANT-- after stain/smell is gone rinse with clean water -bleach will eat a whole if left alone on some material. May repeat as needed just remember to rinse well and dry completely. best of luck

• Leah M

Have you tried the Mr Clean power eraser? Wish I had a whole mop head with that stuff for my floors (darn cats!)

• Iris Frantz

Some great ideas, I'll give them a try, thanks

• Eva Barker Beaule

Hi Iris....I just noticed you followed one of my post and are from Roanoke. I'm about 100 miles south of you down I81!

• Iris Frantz

Hey Eva, sorry I didn't catch this sooner. I'm not familiar with Mendota, close to the N.C. line?