Would Mama Be Happy, or Not?

I picked up this old chest from a sweet lady that wasn't in much better shape herself. I met with her in her bedroom because she is disabled, and lives in her bed. With tears in her eyes, she tells me the story of this old chest she's got as a wedding present from her mama. She says her mama was really poor, and sacrificed this chest so she could give a gift to her only daughter on her wedding day. This was all she had left from her mother, and the sentimental value was priceless to her. I knew I just had to help her keep it out of the dump where it was headed.
oh my! She's seen better days!
oh my! She's seen better days!
I love it most when my clients give me free reign to design whatever I want. I thought I'd really surprise her and give this an extra special treatment, with a raised stencil, shown here.
I use wall spackling and rub it across the stencil with an old credit card to apply. This old chest was so out of whack, I had to do one drawer at a time.
would mama be happy or not , bedroom ideas, chalk paint, painted furniture, painting wood furniture
Lightly sanded the dried stencil when all the drawers were done. Cleaned off all the dust with a damp towel, careful not to wipe away any of the spackling.
Painted the drawers gold, then used a polyurethane topcoat to protect it.
oil based top coat is important step here.
Made some homemade chalk paint out of some left over paints, and painted the drawer fronts and the body of the dresser. Using a chore boy sponge, I carefully rubbed the stencil to remove the turquoise paint and show the gold stencil underneath. This is why it was important to apply a coat of polyurethane over the gold, so I wouldn't rub it off during this process.
Applied Pearl Glaze, wiping straight across. I did not use a protective coat of poly before doing this, so I did it in small sections quickly. I wanted it to seep down into the grain of that old oak wood.
The drawers were in really bad shape, so I painted the sides, inside and out before sealing the whole chest and drawers with a semi gloss High Performance Top Coat. Cut a piece of cardboard and using spray adhesive, attached fabric to the cardboard form.
This created a liner and stabilized the drawer, as well as dressing up the drawers inside too.
Dressed her up with new hardware knobs and keyholes.
While I was visiting with that sweet lady, she'd told me her mama's favorite color was turquoise. I'd like to think Mama would be happy with it today, all dressed up.

• Amy Jo Olson

I started using drywall mud and stencils maybe 25 years ago! I'm thrilled to finally see someone other than me, use it for something other than its intended purpose.

I first used it along with an ivy stencil as a border along the top of my wall. I painted everything out with the same sage color, then used light touches of gold leaf on the raised areas of the ivy. Gorgeous!

I have used these methods for so many applications!

This dresser you had done is breathtaking! I am also thrilled to read that she loved it! Great job!

• Sue Dingmann

I love what you did with the dresser! Kudos!!