Michelle Bennett
Michelle Bennett
  • Vale, NC

My butterfly bush has wilted leaves,any suggestions to the problem.

Frankie Laney360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Douglas Hunt
+4

There has been alot of rain.Help I love this gorgeous hummingbird attracter.
  • Libby at An Eye For Detail

Great job! I don't know if I could begin to undertake such a lot of work!! Thanks for showing.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Can you share a bit more information about your Butterfly Bush? How old is it. Have you pruned it lately? Has their been anyone near it spraying chemicals? Are all the leaves wilted and did it happen at once or did it start from the tips and go towards the center or did it occur on one side first?

• Michelle Bennett

I've only had it for one year,no chemicals have been sprayed around it.I've never pruned it.The leaves are not dry,they are just limp looking.It happened all at once,the blooms are limp also.There has been like 12 inches of rain in the last three weeks.It's been like this for three days.Any ideas ?This is the first one I've owned....

• Michelle Bennett

I needed to give Donna Dixson,a more detailed idea of what was going on.

You should get in the habit of strongly cutting back your butterfly bush just when it starts to leaf out in the spring. The wilting is something a mystery because that would generally be a sign of lack of water, which you certainly don't have. Did the plant look fine early in the season and then this just happened quickly?

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It may be that it is planted too deep in the ground and with that much water you have a bad root rot type disease going on. Is it possible for you to post a picture of it?

• Frankie Laney

I'm thinking that Donna Dixson is on the right track. That's what I was going mention.