Donna R
Donna R
  • Lumberton, TX

Custom Built Entertainment Center.

My husband is not a cabinet-maker but after almost 15 years of picturing a built-in entertainment center in an alcove of our living room, he decided to try and tackle it himself. We had our home built in 1998/99. He drew the plans out then and has been looking at them all this time, tweaking a bit as TV's got bigger! He started by buying unfinished cabinets at Lowe's. He built up from there with a bead board backing and adding shelving, designed to fit all the electronic components. Finishing off with lots of trim and crown moulding. Finally painting everything in Sherwin William's ProClassic Dover White Paint. His advice: Just look at each part as a small project and tackle it before moving on to the next part. Don't get overwhelmed by the whole process! Until a few years ago, he was strictly a "car guy" and not a carpenter. I am very proud of him and what he has accomplished!
Finished after about three months of working off and on during the weekends.
custom built entertainment center, diy, kitchen cabinets, living room ideas, painted furniture, shelving ideas
Started with a bead board backing in an alcove of the living room.
Unfinished cabinets added.
Unfinished cabinets added.
Painting begins!
Painting begins!
Shelving completed. Old school desk became our "entertainment center" for awhile!
Working on trim and moulding.  He is so glad to be at this stage!
Working on trim and moulding. He is so glad to be at this stage!
Finally got to decorate after we let the paint cure on the shelves!

• Michelle Dowdy

Hi Donna, I am so in love with the design of this entertainment center. Have looked at many others but this one is it for me. Would you please share with me the specs your husband used? This piece has inspired me greatly and I am going to tackle it myself with help from a friend. Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!