Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Repairing a Vinyl Floor

Linda VellucciElaine753Cer2010
+7

We had a new vinyl floor installed in the kitchen a few years ago. The guys that were sent to install it were like the 3 stooges and didn't seem like they knew what they were doing. There must have been a small stop where they couldn't get the vinyl flat so they cut a small slit about an 1.5 inches. naturally I'm the only one that ever noticed it. I would like to seal it with something so moisture doesn't get under it when I clean the floor. I was thinking about putting a small amount of clear caulk of silicone over the slit. Any other products I can get? The picture makes the slit look a lot bigger than it is.
q repairing a vinyl floor, flooring, home maintenance repairs
  • Tabby

I would clean the area very well and put the silicone caulk through and UNDER the slit and then press down. Wipe off any caulking that oozes up. Hold the slit edges down into place until it cures. Some of the silicone will press up into the slit and hold the edge together, while also holding the vinyl down to your subfloor. You don't want any caulk to come up above the level of the vinyl or it will grab dust, shoe toes, brooms, etc. You could also use a 6000 glue or something like that. They should have used a hot hair dryer to shrink the vinyl bubble back down. I watched how my floors were installed. They poked a pin into the bubble if it was so bad the heat wouldn't shrink it. (Pinhole lets air out from underneath.) Pinholes show up much less than a slit.

• Mary Insana

Thanks, that's pretty much how I was going to do it..

• Valerie

A thought - do you think that carpet tape placed under the slit would do the trick? If the edges were sufficiently close together I am sure that dirt etc would not penetrate.

• Mary Insana

You really can't get under the slit unless I use something to slide in there and open it up myself. It is literally a cut, not a bubble with a slit in it. Something on the surface is what I need to do.

• Spheramid Enterprises

super glue

• Rab663545

i have the same thing and was wondering what to use also

• Sharon Russell

We have the same thing. I tried a drop of clear nail polish. So far, so good.

• Cer2010

Vinyl is PVC, just like plastic pipe. There is "vinyl weld" available to seal cuts. It would be in the flooring area of the big box outlets. Or if it's a little spot and not out in a traffic area, PVC cement for pipes works. Use a small q-tip to apply a small line to the cut. It fuses the pieces together and seals out water and dirt. It will only work if the sides of the cut touch, or extremely close. The pic shows a dark cut. If it's open you cam use a hair dryer and when warm pull back together with painter tape. Then when cooled, seal it. Good luck.

• Elaine753

I have a cut in my vinyl flooring from moving the fridge...thought I would try using my hair dryer to heat it a little then push it back down...whata you think?

• Linda Vellucci

Glue gun