B.J. B
B.J. B
  • Lexington, MI

What to do with vintage baby scale?

Marion NesbittLouAnn EdelSandy
+23

I found this pale blue baby scale in a vintage resale store and fell in love with it. It has a nicely aged patina so I don't want to do anything to destroy it. I just can't seem to figure our what to do with it. I put stuffed bears in it, then plants and didn't really like either. I'm stumped. I don't know if I should keep it on the floor or put it on a piece of furniture. After seeing all the creativity on hometalk I know you will have good ideas.
q what to do with vintage baby scale, bedroom ideas, home decor, repurposing upcycling
  • Well I am not the "creative type" per se, but I would leave it up where it might not get kicked, banged by a vacuum, etc... Like the bears, that is pretty cute

• Cathy B

I think it would be pretty in a bathroom with guest towels. In it.

• Marlene Wilson

I like both answers,diffently keep it off the floor.Could be used in a nursery.

• New Age Global Builders

I would recommend putting it in a child's room with some photo frames and bears perhaps. As a general contractor in Queens I have seen many home who would place such a thing in a vanity or a bedroom furniture piece. For more nice design options you can visit our blog http://www.newageglobalbuilders.com

• Lela

maybe a fruit basket in the kitchen ? or as a magazine "rack"

• B.J. B

I like the magazine idea. Guest towels would be really cute. The only problem I have is it's large size, I have to find a piece of furniture I could put it on to get it up off the floor. Thanks for your good ideas, I really appreciate them.

• Beth Cole Byrne

It could hold diapers, pacifiers, etc. on a dresser in the baby's room.

• Denise M

or it could hold a baby doll

• Kathy Franz

i know that this is an antique, but this is one i think that i would paint the wicker part of it to make it pop a little bit. it would look great on a vanity with towels, a place to collect mail or put bills. i do like the bears

• Carol King-ricca

I think this would be great in the bathroom with face towels, or in the bedroom on a dresser with some pretty linens.

• Catherine B

I would leave it out for all to see, perhaps surround it with pics of my children and grand children and great grand child (!) - all pictures of them as infants, then ... I would make "Pillow Letters" that spell out the word L O V E and place them in the scale ... yes I would!

• Carol King-ricca

Since it is large it might be nice to hold lovely pillows.

• Andrea S

I would put it in the bathroom and put rolled up face cloths/towels on it. Maybe guest bathroom so it doesn't get overused.

• Moonchild627

I like the idea of a fruit basket.

• Kay Love-Wood

Good gosh the ideas go on and one. I love it as a fruit basket in the kitchen, guest towels in a bath, fine a plate or metal tray use in bedroom as a jewerly, rings used everyday. on and on. Wish I could find one now ;-) If used be sure to line it with a vintage napkins, scarf so as to not hurt the finish of the basket.

• Judy H

I and have the same scale old and I am 70 years my parents bought them to weigh me as a baby.

• Johanna

It's begging for a floral arrangement you could change seasonally.

• Sam @ DIY Huntress

Definitely a fruit basket! Spray paint it a bright accent color so that it pops in your kitchen!

• B.J. B

Oh my goodness you guys have some good ideas! I am thinking about painting it. I love the infant picture ideas with Pillow letters. I love the floral and fruit and linen arrangements too. I never thought of the obvious which is a baby doll (which I collect). You guys are fabulous! Now I just need to decide what to do 1st! Thank you Judy H for helping me date the scale. It would be perfect for a nursery.

• Jeanette S

This is just too cute! Love it!

• Brenda Smith

I would use it as a prop for a photo of infants (carefully placing and being alert to the baby's safety, of course, since it may be rickety with age). How sweet would a naked newborn baby look in the basket of the scale, with just an old-looking baby blanket?

• B.J. B

I have a new great niece coming this September, what a acute idea!

• Sandy

Each and every idea is awesome! There are so many uses for this scale. A pretty flower arrangement in colors complementing the color of it would be nice. I could also see a couple green plants in it with leaves cascading over it put up on a hutch. Also if you have large enough bathroom (I don't) the idea of pretty decorated handtowels would be pretty too.

• LouAnn Edel

If you collect baby dolls, then that's what I would use it for. Line it with a vintage looking baby blanket (or new if old is not available) and either lay one of your baby dolls in it or sit one up. I don't know how you display your baby dolls but If you could find a baby's dressing table you could set the scale on it and set a few of the others around it. Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

• Marion Nesbitt

Is it large enough to hold some cook books or spices? That way the colour could come from these and you wouldn't have to paint it.

• B.J. B

@Marion Nesbitt Thanks for the idea Marion! It would be cute with cook books. Now I just need to figure out if I can fit it somewhere in my kitchen.