Asked on Jul 12, 2013

whole hous renovation

Lilli HKMS WoodworksWoodbridge Environmental


We may be doing a whole house reno and are wondeting abt approximate costs for electric upgrade and plumbing upgrade. It's a 170 yr old farmhouse that we would demo back to the studs. Its abt 1500 sq ft.
4 answers
  • Hamtil Construction LLC
    on Jul 12, 2013

    Tough to answer that question without knowing more about what you are doing. How many bathrooms? Replacing all wiring? What's the access, existing conditions... All I can say is that a typical service upgrade here (panel, meter) costs about $2500 - 3,000 on average.

  • Were about the same price for panels in NJ as well. Whole house rewire can run 10 grand and up, depending upon number of rooms, outlets and lights. Copper wire is really expensive now, add labor and insurance for the contractor. It adds up fast.

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Jul 13, 2013

    I too have seen full electric upgrades exceed 10 K. throw in some full plumbing an d it can be another 10 grand. Then you have to put in insulation, new drywall etc. Your best bet wold be to contact a few GC's and get some bids. As with most projects in old homes be ready for the the "what ifs". once the walls are opened up you may find other problems that will need to be addressed. Check out this article I wrote

  • Lilli H
    on Jul 15, 2013

    Thanks for the responses. We would not attempt this as a DIY. There is one bathroom on the 1st level and we would turn it into a half bath, plus add a Master bath/walk-in closet in a small bedroom adjacent to both the master bedroom and the existing full bath. Upstairs we would add a full bath/walk in closet in an existing small bedroom. Move water heater under the stair case if possible. Do full reno in kitchen (there isn't a good work triangle currently). The house is knob and tube now (a fire waiting to happen), plus old galvanized plumbing. The water tank recently died. We would also like to update the wood windows. The house was last reno'd in the 1970's. Structurally, the inspection showed it to be in good condition considering its age. It is a family home that we hope not to sell, but move into after the estate is settled. The house is in another part of our state from where we live. What is the best way to find a good GC? I've seen some "find a GC" websites, but don't know if they are reliable or trustworthy.

Your comment...