DIY Large Planters... From Trash Cans!

Want a set of large planters for the front door? Don't want to spend a lot of money? Then, I have the perfect project for you today! Take a look at these planters here! You will not believe what they are made of...
Yep... trash cans! While walking through the home improvement store, I was appalled to see that large planters were in the $30 range! That's a lot of money. I was able to make these little babies for about $4 each. I chose these trash cans because the shape is tapered and totally adorable!
As usual, I like to mix my own chalk-y paint. Click over to the blog post to get the exact recipe for this paint. It's totally easy to make and creates the most gorgeous sheen ever!
Every planter needs a spot for water to drain. I simply used an electric drill to make several holes in the bottoms of the planters.
This was a really fun project. I love the way they came out. For more tips, details and pictures, be sure to visit the blog post below. If you try this tutorial, be sure to let me know. I'd love to see your versions!

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
EngineerMommy

• Millies_mom47

I looked at the blog as well at this instruction and there's no actual instructions on how to do this project. So do you sand the container and then paint it with a dark color before you paint with the chalk paint? The reason I ask is your picture shows a darkness in spots in the chalk paint, so how did that occur?
    • Robin

The dark spots are where places were sanded and the clear container is showing.

• Deborah Luchak Nester

where did you find the garbage cans this shape and that size for $4? I have been looking for almost exactly like this........

• Jill Krol

Walmart in the home goods trash can section or bathroom section. I've gotten many a plastic trash can from there and simply drilled 6-7 holes in the bottom. They'll last many years inside and usually 2-3 outside unless they're in the shade. I pay $3.98 for them.

• Kim

I have painted flower pots before when I can’t find the color I want. But the color always peels off by the end of the summer - then I have a very UGLY flower pot by fall!! Ideas ??? Thx in advance!

• E Dinwiddie

I used spray paint for plastics and it's still peeled off at the end of summer and I have very ugly pots thatI don’t have time to deal with uggg

• Necee Marie

I have also done this. Soooo much cheaper ! Great minds think alike! 😊

• Pat Berryhill

Love this idea! Also, you could consider using paint formulated for plastic - and then dry brush another paint on top (I’ve used acrylic with great success). For example: rust colored spray paint for plastic for base coat, then dry brush an acrylic dark brown aging

color on top. I’ve painted three like this and they’ve been going over 15 years now.