DIY Large Planters... From Trash Cans!

Want a set of large planters for the front door? Don't want to spend a lot of money? Then, I have the perfect project for you today! Take a look at these planters here! You will not believe what they are made of...
diy large planters from trash cans , container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Yep... trash cans! While walking through the home improvement store, I was appalled to see that large planters were in the $30 range! That's a lot of money. I was able to make these little babies for about $4 each. I chose these trash cans because the shape is tapered and totally adorable!
As usual, I like to mix my own chalk-y paint. Click over to the blog post to get the exact recipe for this paint. It's totally easy to make and creates the most gorgeous sheen ever!
Every planter needs a spot for water to drain. I simply used an electric drill to make several holes in the bottoms of the planters.
This was a really fun project. I love the way they came out. For more tips, details and pictures, be sure to visit the blog post below. If you try this tutorial, be sure to let me know. I'd love to see your versions!
EngineerMommy

• Mary Kerner

How to make chalk paint?
    how to get regular Paint to stick to plastic buckets for plants

• Linda

so MANY recipes on line for homemade chalk paint. read the pros & cons of each ... the very cheapest was a recipe using the 'chalk' used for baseball fields markings.

• Dib6985207

Why haven't you answered anyone's questions above?

• Sherry Miller

actually, she does share the recipe in another post. 2. Mix 1 cup of the paint with 2 tbsp. of the unsanded grout in a plastic cup and stir until completely smooth. (Of course, discard the cup and stirrer when done with this project!)

• Millies_mom47

I looked at the blog as well at this instruction and there's no actual instructions on how to do this project. So do you sand the container and then paint it with a dark color before you paint with the chalk paint? The reason I ask is your picture shows a darkness in spots in the chalk paint, so how did that occur?

• Robin
      An hour ago

The dark spots are where places were sanded and the clear container is showing.

• Brenda

If your pots are too big for a plant saucer. Thrift stores often have microwave trays. & another idea is serving trays. Like fast food places. .you can paint plastic to match your pots for bringing in for winter

• Den32153967

I have also done this. Soooo much cheaper ! Great minds think alike! 😊