Planting on a slope

I don't know if you can tell from these pictures how steep this slope is. I tried to take some from all different angles. It's very steep but it's also a main path to the lower level of yard and it's covered by this huge pine tree and shaded from the other side by sumac's. So it's really steep, heavily traveled, and very shaded. Is there anything I can plant here?

• Ail7626249

I have a very steep rocky slope in the front of my house ( I call it THE ABYSS ) that is covered in every vile weed imaginable, like blackberry canes, sumac, angelica, thorn bushes, and many more. I can see no hope for winning my battle other than to eradicate small sections of weeds at a time with herbicide, and planting small shrubs surrounded by mulch. The footing is terrible, the weeds too tough for a weed eater with string, and it's too rocky for one with a blade. I purchased a cordless hedge trimmer, which has been helpful, but weeds grow back unbelievably fast. I love ground covers like golden creeping jenny and ajuga, because you can basically weed eat right over them without harming them and they spread like wildfire, helping to suppress weeds. These 2 do prefer shade, but there are others. I am going to put in some dwarf alberta spruce, spirea, low groundcover roses, daylilies, hosta and annabelle hydrangea for the more shaded parts. After that I may put in a few other tough perenniels like purple coneflowers and black eyed susans. I have also found that lady's mantle makes a good ground cover and lots of new ones pop up every year. My climate is similar to yours, I live in New Brunswick ( Canada, not New Jersey ) Good luck, it can seem like quite the battle , especially in the heat and mosquitoes. !!!

• Linda T

Another thought, large packets of wildflower seeds, broadcast all over, to make a butterfly and bird 'meadow'.