DIY Tire Planter

$40

I really like to burn rubber, so pretty much all the tread on two of my tires was gone - it was time for new tires for my little red SUV. We ended up replacing all four tires, and we tossed the two really bad ones, but for some reason decided to hang onto the two that weren't that bad. The hubs and I were cleaning out the garage the other day and saw the two tires stashed in the corner. My husband was ready
diy tire planter, container gardening, diy, flowers, gardening, repurposing upcycling
I started of by giving the outer edges of the rim a fresh coat of black paint. I used just regular flat black spray paint for this. I didn’t worry about doing the inside or bottom because this part is not seen.
I needed to put a bottom on the tire to hold dirt, so this is where the plywood came into play. I set my tire on top of my piece of plywood and I traced around the inside with a permanent marker. I angled the marker in a little bit to get under the edge. I also traced around the outside as well. When I took my tire off the plywood, this is what I had.
I then used my jigsaw to cut around only the outer marks. I only marked the inside so I knew where to place my rim (you will see this in the later steps).
I placed the rim on top of the plywood, making sure the bolt holes (I think that's what they are called) are closest to the plywood.
Then, taking a marker and sliding it through the bolt holes in the middle, I made some markings.
I used a half inch spade bit to drill holes where I made my marks.
I also drilled some additional drain holes for when I will be watering my flowers or plants.
I used 3" bolt with a nut and washer on each end to attach my rim to my piece of plywood. I used washers on each side for extra durability.
After I had it all bolted together, I spray painted the plywood black to match the rim.
I then put the tire on my work table, and then put my rim/plywood base upside down on top of it. Using screws, I drilled right through the plywood to attach my base to my tire.
Next, I got out some contact cement and got some clothesline rope. I purchased clothesline rope because it is by far the cheapest, and I had to use three of these 150' packages to cover the tire.
To cover the tire I needed an extra set of hands so I enlisted the help of my mother. I would brush on the contact cement and she would follow me around with the rope.
This was the longest part of the project. It took us about 45 minutes - an hour to do this. I don't have many pictures cause we had to work really quickly. It was a very hot day and the contact cement was setting really fast. This was good in a way because we could wrap really fast rather than waiting for the rope to stick... so I wasn't complaining!
I gave the top of the tire a little coat of white paint just to pull the whole look together.
I still have one more tire, so I am gonna make another one this weekend. I may try and paint the rope a different color and see what happens!
Let me know what you think about this project! Have you ever done any DIYs with a tire? Share your projects with me!
Holly Grace

• Mary

Why did you use plywood, it will rot. I had Tyre planters that my husband made me 30 years ago,and he cut them out as petals. Beautiful. I left them at our cabin that we sold this year.

• Mjkoehler2000

I have a serated edge tire (large serations). I have had this tire for 25-28 years and I leave it outdoors all year long. We have four seasons and it doesn't seem to affect it. I now have a new one for this (just plain), I don't plan on painting (my other one is not painted), it's on the rim and I have to figure what I'm going to use to keep the dirt in.

• Cathy Conran-Warmels

I have tires that I will be making into planters but don't want to take the time for all of the rope. Can anyone tell me if you have to clean the tires before painting and do I need to use a primer before painting. Do I take the tires inside in the winter to stop the paint from cracking with the cold?

• Michelle

Won't the contact cement disolve when it rains?

• Holly Grace

It's been two years since I made that and it has held up just like I made it yesterday! Plus it sat outside for two winters, too! :D

• Linda Abate

Awesome idea of taking old worn tires and making planters out of them. Would love to do something like this around the mail box. Thanks for sharing.

• Chr31831290

Just beautiful! The rope and white paint give almost a simple rustic look and is a very nice presentation to showcase the color of the flowers you use. I really love this! Great idea and thank you for sharing.