DIY Tire Planter

$40

I really like to burn rubber, so pretty much all the tread on two of my tires was gone - it was time for new tires for my little red SUV. We ended up replacing all four tires, and we tossed the two really bad ones, but for some reason decided to hang onto the two that weren't that bad. The hubs and I were cleaning out the garage the other day and saw the two tires stashed in the corner. My husband was ready to take these two beauts to the dump, when I had a vision - a vision that became a reality this past weekend.
I used an old tire, an old rim and some left over plywood to make this one of a kind garden planter. Let me share with you how I did it!
I started of by giving the outer edges of the rim a fresh coat of black paint. I used just regular flat black spray paint for this. I didn't worry about doing the inside or bottom because this part is not seen.
I started of by giving the outer edges of the rim a fresh coat of black paint. I used just regular flat black spray paint for this. I didn’t worry about doing the inside or bottom because this part is not seen.
I needed to put a bottom on the tire to hold dirt, so this is where the plywood came into play. I set my tire on top of my piece of plywood and I traced around the inside with a permanent marker. I angled the marker in a little bit to get under the edge. I also traced around the outside as well. When I took my tire off the plywood, this is what I had.
I then used my jigsaw to cut around only the outer marks. I only marked the inside so I knew where to place my rim (you will see this in the later steps).
I placed the rim on top of the plywood, making sure the bolt holes (I think that's what they are called) are closest to the plywood.
Then, taking a marker and sliding it through the bolt holes in the middle, I made some markings.
I used a half inch spade bit to drill holes where I made my marks.
I also drilled some additional drain holes for when I will be watering my flowers or plants.
I used 3" bolt with a nut and washer on each end to attach my rim to my piece of plywood. I used washers on each side for extra durability.
After I had it all bolted together, I spray painted the plywood black to match the rim.
I then put the tire on my work table, and then put my rim/plywood base upside down on top of it. Using screws, I drilled right through the plywood to attach my base to my tire.
Next, I got out some contact cement and got some clothesline rope. I purchased clothesline rope because it is by far the cheapest, and I had to use three of these 150' packages to cover the tire.
To cover the tire I needed an extra set of hands so I enlisted the help of my mother. I would brush on the contact cement and she would follow me around with the rope.
This was the longest part of the project. It took us about 45 minutes - an hour to do this. I don't have many pictures cause we had to work really quickly. It was a very hot day and the contact cement was setting really fast. This was good in a way because we could wrap really fast rather than waiting for the rope to stick... so I wasn't complaining!
I gave the top of the tire a little coat of white paint just to pull the whole look together.
I still have one more tire, so I am gonna make another one this weekend. I may try and paint the rope a different color and see what happens!
Let me know what you think about this project! Have you ever done any DIYs with a tire? Share your projects with me!

Holly Grace

• Mary

Why did you use plywood, it will rot. I had Tyre planters that my husband made me 30 years ago,and he cut them out as petals. Beautiful. I left them at our cabin that we sold this year.

• Mjkoehler2000

I have a serated edge tire (large serations). I have had this tire for 25-28 years and I leave it outdoors all year long. We have four seasons and it doesn't seem to affect it. I now have a new one for this (just plain), I don't plan on painting (my other one is not painted), it's on the rim and I have to figure what I'm going to use to keep the dirt in.

• Cathy Conran-Warmels

I have tires that I will be making into planters but don't want to take the time for all of the rope. Can anyone tell me if you have to clean the tires before painting and do I need to use a primer before painting. Do I take the tires inside in the winter to stop the paint from cracking with the cold?

• Michelle

Won't the contact cement disolve when it rains?
    • Mary M

I wondered about contact cement myself! Thank you. I have 5 tires and I am making a rope one this week! Thank you. (I'm going to spray paint at least one also.) Did you put poly or anything on you ur wood? It's lovely!

• Ruth

I think this is a great idea, I've been trying to find uses for old tires my husband has laying around instead of throwing them out & having to pay someone to take them. We have tried them in the garden to plant vegetables in but I don't want a garden full of tires. It's also very creative, the possibilities of recycling are endless, thank you so much for sharing your project. I think it is a wonderful idea.

• Kathy Lanora Thomas

If you do your gardening with bales of hay or pine straw you can actually set the bale of pine straw down inside the tire and it would keep it from getting all scattered and you can paint them green so they fit into a garden theme. Oh awesome idea you could paint frogs and butterflies and things like that on the tires also. And planting in hay or pine straw helps to keep down weeds in your garden.and if you put chicken wire over the bottom of the tire it would make it completely portable so you can move your garden wherever you want to. You can also take your tires and make Fern fountains out of them by jockeying them on top of each other back and forth and there again put chicken wire or some kind of small screen on the bottom of the tire so you can put soil in it.