DIY Tire Planter

$40

I really like to burn rubber, so pretty much all the tread on two of my tires was gone - it was time for new tires for my little red SUV. We ended up replacing all four tires, and we tossed the two really bad ones, but for some reason decided to hang onto the two that weren't that bad. The hubs and I were cleaning out the garage the other day and saw the two tires stashed in the corner. My husband was ready to take these two beauts to the dump, when I had a vision - a vision that became a reality this past weekend.
I used an old tire, an old rim and some left over plywood to make this one of a kind garden planter. Let me share with you how I did it!
I started of by giving the outer edges of the rim a fresh coat of black paint. I used just regular flat black spray paint for this. I didn't worry about doing the inside or bottom because this part is not seen.
I started of by giving the outer edges of the rim a fresh coat of black paint. I used just regular flat black spray paint for this. I didn’t worry about doing the inside or bottom because this part is not seen.
I needed to put a bottom on the tire to hold dirt, so this is where the plywood came into play. I set my tire on top of my piece of plywood and I traced around the inside with a permanent marker. I angled the marker in a little bit to get under the edge. I also traced around the outside as well. When I took my tire off the plywood, this is what I had.
I then used my jigsaw to cut around only the outer marks. I only marked the inside so I knew where to place my rim (you will see this in the later steps).
I placed the rim on top of the plywood, making sure the bolt holes (I think that's what they are called) are closest to the plywood.
Then, taking a marker and sliding it through the bolt holes in the middle, I made some markings.
I used a half inch spade bit to drill holes where I made my marks.
I also drilled some additional drain holes for when I will be watering my flowers or plants.
I used 3" bolt with a nut and washer on each end to attach my rim to my piece of plywood. I used washers on each side for extra durability.
After I had it all bolted together, I spray painted the plywood black to match the rim.
I then put the tire on my work table, and then put my rim/plywood base upside down on top of it. Using screws, I drilled right through the plywood to attach my base to my tire.
Next, I got out some contact cement and got some clothesline rope. I purchased clothesline rope because it is by far the cheapest, and I had to use three of these 150' packages to cover the tire.
To cover the tire I needed an extra set of hands so I enlisted the help of my mother. I would brush on the contact cement and she would follow me around with the rope.
This was the longest part of the project. It took us about 45 minutes - an hour to do this. I don't have many pictures cause we had to work really quickly. It was a very hot day and the contact cement was setting really fast. This was good in a way because we could wrap really fast rather than waiting for the rope to stick... so I wasn't complaining!
I gave the top of the tire a little coat of white paint just to pull the whole look together.
I still have one more tire, so I am gonna make another one this weekend. I may try and paint the rope a different color and see what happens!
Let me know what you think about this project! Have you ever done any DIYs with a tire? Share your projects with me!

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Holly Grace

• Cathy Conran-Warmels

I have tires that I will be making into planters but don't want to take the time for all of the rope. Can anyone tell me if you have to clean the tires before painting and do I need to use a primer before painting. Do I take the tires inside in the winter to stop the paint from cracking with the cold?

• Marsha Robertson

I have c used the tire as is. Planted impatients for many years and got so many compliments. I also used a railroad tie that had been used in the yard as landscape design that was deteriorating. I scooped out the inside and put some planting materials and also added impatients they were gorgeous and it lasted for years.

• Michelle

Won't the contact cement disolve when it rains?
    • Shirley

Contact cement won't dissolve in water, but may eventually lose its integrity. I think it will last a long time if a sufficient amount is applied. Don't be stingy with it, and follow the instructions on the tube.

• Edie Burton

Rubber really stinks when it gets hot. Does the paint block the odor?

• Rose Tovey

These days, the trigger for my asthma is cigarette smoke and cigar smoke. I try to stay far away.