Pantry Between the Studs

During our recent kitchen renovation I moved my fridge into the space where the pantry used to be in order to allow for some much needed counter space. The kitchen is TINY, just 10x10, so there wasn't anywhere IN the kitchen to put a new one, so I did the next best thing - we built a pantry between the studs just outside the kitchen door.
We started by relocating some a light fixture and switch to another wall.
Next we carefully cut out the old lathe and plaster wall, creating 2 sections for the new pantry. The size of your pantry will be dictated by how far apart your studs are.
After making sure the old wiring was dead ended and safely tucked away, we boxed in the pantry using luan for the back, 1x6" boards for the frame and 1x4" boards for the shelves.
I painted the back to match the wall and the trim and shelves went white.
I created sliding doors out of black iron pipe from the plumbing aisle and a pair of doors from the ReStore.
It's unbelievable how much additional storage this little pantry creates, and I think almost anyone could find a spot for something like this. For all the details including a great tip for making the doors slide easier on the hardware, please visit my blog.

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Julie Briggs

• Jill

In todays homes , after opening up Sheetrock , you normally wouldn’t see what appears to be log cabin walls separating the room. You would see insulation and the next room.

• Wyldecent

It's not an exterior wall (don't want to use exterior walls) -- it's just an old house. Mine is about 100 years old with plaster and lathe also and no original insulation. New houses have drywall on both sides of the studs so you want a sturdier backing, like luan or thin plywood, to protect the drywall on the other side.

• Elizabeth

In the process of this now! Had my brothers knock out my wall on thanksgiving! 😂