Classy Clutter
Classy Clutter
  • Buffalo, NY

DIY Hidden storage: canned food storage cabinet

It's totally tiny but does a fine job suiting our needs...mostly... One problem I've run into with a small space is storage space. I've had to get a little creative and maximize the empty space hiding in the room since we're lacking a pantry. However, our kitchen had about a 6" opening between our wall and the refrigerator. I decided I needed to utilize this hidden space and that's exactly what I did!
For those concerned about heat, the side of my refrigerator does not get warm/hot at all. I have had this since May and it has been a dream come true in my kitchen!
Check out the full post for full instructions with a shopping list, wood list and full tutorial.
http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/05/build-your-own-extra-storage-diy-canned.html
diy hidden storage canned food storage cabinet, storage ideas, urban living, woodworking projects, Hidden next the fridge
Hidden next the fridge!
diy hidden storage canned food storage cabinet, storage ideas, urban living, woodworking projects, Pulls out for easy access to canned goods etc
Pulls out for easy access to canned goods, etc.
diy hidden storage canned food storage cabinet, storage ideas, urban living, woodworking projects, the plan
the plan..
diy hidden storage canned food storage cabinet, storage ideas, urban living, woodworking projects, The full cabinet open
The full cabinet open
Classy Clutter

• Patty Conry-Brown

what is the backboard.

• Patty Conry-Brown

what is the backboard, plywood, if so what is the size.

• Carey

Taking out the shelves and leaving the dowels, this would make a wonderful drying rack for dishrag, hand towels, dishtowels and anything else that you would want to hang to dry. It is true that the Fridg. gets warm at the sides as it moves heat out of the inside to the outside. The condensers are no longer just on the back as they once were and the transfer is done through the walls. When my hubby built our kitchen he designed a cabinet next to the fridg. with vented door. My dishrag, dishtowels and drainer were completely dry within about an hour. I never had a stinky dishrag while we lived with that kitchen. I think that this cabinet is open enough that it doesn't restrict the heat transfer out a lot unless it was really stuffed, but canned goods and spices should be stored in a cooler place.

• Jerry Mccutcheon

why did you stagger the casters, for the room or stablility?

• Rick Holder

Looks to be top heavy and unstabel especially when you pull it out ?

• Carey

Looks like it could also be wonderful storage for your drinking glasses, cups, travel drinking containers, small plastic ware, etc. A lot of those things that you just never have a place for! Very nice idea!