Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA

SCREWED this one up, WIFE is TICKED! Plumerias

GaylJanice RJim G
+7

So do I do anything now with the "pruned" part or just leave it?
(Last winter I pruned ONE just to see if it would split and make 2 stems. So far - NO LUCK!
Plumeria:  Just moved from inside to outside for the season.
Plumeria: Just moved from inside to outside for the season.
Plumeria NOT Pruned, starting to sprout on its own!
RUH-ROH!    I  "PRUNED" this one in the winter to SEE whether it would SPLIT to additional stems.  Wife is NOT HAPPY!   What do I do now?
RUH-ROH! I "PRUNED" this one in the winter to SEE whether it would SPLIT to additional stems. Wife is NOT HAPPY! What do I do now?
  • Cindy S

I just got my first plumeria plant. It is outside on my patio, I try to move it and give it as much sun as possible. Heat is not a problem since I am in Central Florida! I would say to just leave it and see what happens. Heat and sun are the two major facotrs and not much water. For more info check out www.JustPlumerias.com. Good Luck!!

• Sara C

Yup - Cindy's right. Pretty sure you just gotta leave 'em be. Mine has come back after one stalk got knocked off by accident. I just stuck in back in the dirt and it's putting out leaves. No blooms last year on that one though, Good luck!

• Jim G

@ Sara: is your Profile pic in a softball stadium?

• Jim G

interesting, so a question I had for a hibiscuc being in too small a pot; could these plumerias need a bigger pot?

• Cindy S

It looks like you have used the same size pot that I have started mine in. I think for now this is a perfect size Jim.

• Jim G

@ Cindy: thank you. I'll just leave them be then and hope the leaves start growing and flowers again!

• Gayl

@Jim, I had 3 stems sent to me by a friend in CA (I live in TN). It took 9 months of waiting before I saw any progress on roots, but they took off a week after I saw them. I plunged them into soft potting soil, and they grew long leaves with no flowers last summer. I moved them inside for the winter, and put them out this spring, where a freak cold snap killed 2. The last one is just now showing signs of having some leaves grow after the growth from last year fell off. When I pulled the 2 dead ones out of the soil, they had really rooted strongly, and even tho brown and dead looking, there might have been a possibility that they would have come back. Can't wait until I see what the one remaining will do, as it looks like your sticks. This is my first experience growing them.

• Jim G

@Gayl I found the same.... We now have an extra plant and it is blooming large leaves! From THIS EXPERIENCE, I've learned I can break off another STEM this fall and replant for a NEW PLANT!!

• Janice R

it may take a couple of years before you get blooms, be patient ,worth the wait

• Gayl

You could prune a piece in summer, as it grows roots with heat much faster than in cooler months.